Own domain at WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am new to WHS.

Is it possible to assign a private domain name that you own to WHS.

For example, if you own domain "example.com" is it possible to point that domain to your WHS ?

Thanks for any answers.

RABJE

Saturday, May 1, 2010 1:52 PM

Answers

• You can point your domain anywhere you like; it's yours. What you really want to know, I think, is if Windows Home Server fully supports managing an arbitrary domain, and the answer to that question is no. Whatever domain or domains are pointed to your public IP address will (if your router is properly configured) forward to your server, and your server will return pages. But the remote Access web site uses SSL, and the certificate which is installed when you configure a homeserver.com vanity URL is specific to the homeserver.com domain.

It's also possible to purchase and install your own certificate . Doing so is unsupported, and there are a couple of points where you could make an expensive mistake, so be careful.

Since your public IP probably changes from time to time, you may want to investigate a dynamic DNS provider (Windows Home Server will use only Windows Live Domains) that will allow you to use your custom URL. You'll have to install their client somewhere (probably on your server).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Sunday, May 2, 2010 8:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by RABJE Monday, May 3, 2010 2:20 PM
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 8:46 PM
  • OK Ken, Thanks for the answer.

I wil stick to the homeserver.com domain.

Thanks,

RABJE

• Marked as answer by RABJE Monday, May 3, 2010 2:24 PM
    Monday, May 3, 2010 2:22 PM

All replies

• You can point your domain anywhere you like; it's yours. What you really want to know, I think, is if Windows Home Server fully supports managing an arbitrary domain, and the answer to that question is no. Whatever domain or domains are pointed to your public IP address will (if your router is properly configured) forward to your server, and your server will return pages. But the remote Access web site uses SSL, and the certificate which is installed when you configure a homeserver.com vanity URL is specific to the homeserver.com domain.

It's also possible to purchase and install your own certificate . Doing so is unsupported, and there are a couple of points where you could make an expensive mistake, so be careful.

Since your public IP probably changes from time to time, you may want to investigate a dynamic DNS provider (Windows Home Server will use only Windows Live Domains) that will allow you to use your custom URL. You'll have to install their client somewhere (probably on your server).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Sunday, May 2, 2010 8:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by RABJE Monday, May 3, 2010 2:20 PM
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 8:46 PM
  • OK Ken, Thanks for the answer.

I wil stick to the homeserver.com domain.

Thanks,

RABJE

• Marked as answer by RABJE Monday, May 3, 2010 2:24 PM
    Monday, May 3, 2010 2:22 PM