One care backup restore. RRS feed

• Question

• My hard drive crashed and I used a 2nd internal hard drive as my back up location (central back up, also for my laptop(network location)). I got a new hardrive, installed WLOC but could not restore my back up from the same old hard drive. When I select restore files from an earlier backup or backup from abother computer it does not show me the location. Add network location dost not do any help either. Also tried Winows backup utility in advanced mode, but there I could not find any *.bkf or backup utility file at my backup locations.
    Summary:
    Back up location: driveletter\Windows OneCare Backup\Desktop\2008 and then Catalogs and Files

Monday, July 13, 2009 3:48 AM

Answers

• Ignoring the fact that it is an internal drive, since the location was a Network Share and apparently centralized Backup *and* your Hub machine is the one that had to be rebuilt, you will likely need to make the PC a hub and then create a new backup plan, pointing the centralized backup to the same location as a network Share. Once you've done this and done a backup to the new location, you should be able to perform a restore and then see the old backups for the PC your rebuilt. if not, please contact support for help. Unfortunately, you may run into a wall with support as the internal drive is "unsupported" despite the fact that it is simply a network Share location.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Monday, July 13, 2009 1:15 PM