PBX Integration + RCC? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm currently using OCS 2007 Ent with an Edge, Mediation, and FE server.  On my Mediation server, I have gateway software working to do a TAPI integration from OCS Mediation server to Cisco unified communications manager 6.0 for remote call control.

This integration is pretty slick as far as RCC goes, and is working fine.  My question is how will communicator (configured for RCC) work when I'm remote.

I'll use myself as an example:  I have a desktop at work running communicator, and a 7961 phone on my desk.  I also have a laptop with communicator, and have a desktop at home running communicator.  If I'm at home, I want to be able to click to call and use communicator as the device (rather than the phone), but my assumption is that changing this means my communicator at the office will change too, no?

Also, since I've configured remote call control, I'm unclear on how to make communicator clients talk to the PBX users.  I "beleive" this is the "PBX Integration", but I'm unclear how the tow work together (or if they work together at all).

CCUCM officially supports a PBX integration through CUPS only...I'm not interested in deploying CUPS to get a pbx integration (it's like buying OCS twice!).  Curious if anyone else has overcome this with software or hardware gateways to allow both RCC and enterprise voice / PBX integration, and how the integration works with multiple communicator clients.

Jon

Thursday, December 27, 2007 8:21 PM

All replies

•  

Hi Jon,

I think that for your TAPI integration you probably need to refer your questions to a Cisco SE as this is more of a Cisco only question and they are the owners of this integration.

When you refer to communicator clients talking to PBX users I am assuming you are talking about using your MOC as a IP soft phone. This is done through  a SIP trunk from CallManager to a OCS mediation server. To have full functionality though you will need to have an IP-IP gw between the two as Callmanager doesn’t support E164 yet. CallManager 7.0 maybe easier to integrate to OCS but at the moment an IP-IP GW is required or a PSTN gateway such as an audio codec gw  to talk to a IP PBX.

You also referred to CUPS which is used for RCC. So just like you are using TAPI at the moment this is where CUPS would also do a similar thing and has nothing to with placing a call directly (in an IP phone sense) from MOC and OCS to a Cisco IP phone or PSTN. If TAPI integration is working for you I would stick with it as CUPS will cost you money to do the RCC with OCS even though you will get added features like telephony presence in OCS from callmanager by using CUPS.

Hope this helps. The confusion over the role of CUPS in the integration mix is pretty common and something I have seen in this forum a fair bit.  Keep posting if you have more questions you need help with.

Cheers

Chris

Friday, December 28, 2007 3:28 AM
  • I appreciate the info, I guess the crux of my question is this: if I have a sip trunk with a gateway between CUCM and OCS Mediation server, and also have remote call control, how do I (or can I) say I want my desktop communicator to use remote call control (of my desk phone), and my laptop communicator to act as a softphone (because I'm not at my desk).

My assumption is that I will have to change this setting each time (meaning it's a server based setting rather than a client based setting?)

Any recommendations on software gateways in this setup?  I've seen a lot of conflicting info on the need for a gateway on the net (specifically between CUCM 5.1 / 6.0 and OCS Mediation server)...the majority of information I'm finding is leading me to beleive I do in fact need a gateway though.  This gateways role seems so "simple", I can't beleive 1) the Mediation server doesn't do this already, and 2) the prices on some of these gateways!

Thanks for your assistance.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 2:18 AM
  • Hi Jon,

So your first point is that you are right you can only do softphone or RCC one at a time. Both do not work together. In saying that switching isnt that hard you can do it in the client once it is setup on the server to enable both.

Depending on what gateways you are refering to here I will address both.

RCC there is a couple I can think of but I sure there may be others-

Genesys GETS

Cisco CUPS

Direct SIP trunking to enable softphone functionality-

Cisco ISR IP-IP Gateway (now called CUBE. Helps over come + sign issues and can be used as MTP for trunk)

Or a direct trunk. This does work but Callmanager may have limitations. By setting the SIP trunk to only accept ten digits to remove the plus sign you loose the ability to process 911 and international calls. Cisco are working on E164 support for the plus sign in a later release but till then direct trunking is limited. OCS RTM code as I have been told will not pass numbers to the mediation without the plus sign. In saying that other people say that it does. I have never tried as the route helper tool doesnt work correctly unless the + is there.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chris

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 4:47 AM
  • Hi Jon

You may use RCC to control Cisco IP Communicator.This will work for your laptop. I have tesed this using cucm6.0, cups6.0 and OCS 2007.

For calls between a RCC controlled cisco phone and an Enterprise Voice (EV) MOC client, you will need an IPIPGW (Cisco Cube) to solve "+" between the systems. (the same for calls between regular cisco IP phones and EV MOC clients)

You may use RCC to control Cisco IP Communicator for all users. this way all users will be able to call each other but this add aditional licensing costs ( DLUs).

Tore

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 6:38 PM