Web OFX files not Launched while Money is Open RRS feed

• Question

• Cal,

I also use OFX files with Money 2005UK QFE2, and ever since I installed it I have found that if I download the OFX file from any bank (RBS, Nationwide, Tesco) WHILE MY MONEY FILE IS OPEN, it is ignored by Money.

If I do the download BEFORE opening Money it installs OK when Money is opened, or, having downloaded the OFX file while Money is already open I then close Money and re-open it again the OFX data then installs OK.

This did not happen with my original retail copy of Money 2005UK, and is not a major problem but I am intrigued.  Is this also an issue with the syntax of the OFX file?

(I am using Windows 7 Professional 64)

• Split by Cal LearnerModerator Wednesday, April 25, 2012 3:03 PM Was on "Has Anyone Established from Microsoft if Money 2005 UK QFE2 or Microsoft Sunset is Now Free To Use" thread
    Friday, April 20, 2012 11:05 AM

All replies

• As a test, you might try downloading the file to your computer. Suppose that file is named xyz.ofx

Open Money. Now from Windows Explorer, double-click on xyz.ofx

If that immediately sends the file to Money, that would be informative.

Friday, April 20, 2012 8:19 PM
  • Yes, If I save the OFX file to my computer and then open Money and double click the OFX file it loads.

If I simply Open the file instead of saving it to the computer and then start up Money it loads automatically.

The problem only occurs if Money is opened first, before accessing the OFX file from the bank site. Then I have to close Money and reopen it again to get the file into Money.

Friday, April 20, 2012 10:27 PM
  • In IE9, poke the Alt key momentarily to make the
    "File Edit View Favorites Tools Help" line appear if it is not visible.
    Then un-tick
    Tools->InternetOptions->Advanced->[Security]DoNotSaveEncryptedPagesToDisk.

If that does not do it, maybe there is some other setting.

Friday, April 20, 2012 11:00 PM
  • Hi Cal,

DoNotSaveEncryptedPagesToDisk. Is already un-ticked. What sort of "other setting" should I look for?

Sunday, April 22, 2012 12:15 PM
  • DoNotSaveEncryptedPagesToDisk is already un-ticked. What sort of "other setting" should I look for?

I would suggest you create a new user with Administrator privilege,
    switch to that user and try bringing in an OFX file as that user.
    The theory is that if the problem is an IE setting, you will get
    default settings for the new user.  If you succeed this way, it
    would not change your settings as the main user.

Copy sample.mny from the Money install folder to your documents folder. Launch
    Money by double-clicking that copy of Sample.ext with Windows Explorer.

If that launches, then you will expect it is a difference in settings
    between the users. If not, then it would be something else. After the
    test, you could delete that new user.

I expect to split this discussion into a separate thread called maybe
    "Problem Fetching Web OFX file while Money is Open."

Sunday, April 22, 2012 1:45 PM
  • Thanks Cal, that worked.

I logged on as a new user then used File/Open to open my Money file which I had copied to a shared folder. I then opened a new OFX file from my bank while Money was running and it was imported successfully.

Now how do I find which setting in my old user account is causing the problem? Is it a matter of comparing all the settings in the old and new accounts and changing those that are different one at a time? It would be good if there was a quicker way as each change will require a new OFX file import in order to test it.

Sunday, April 22, 2012 9:48 PM
  • Thanks Cal, that worked.

I logged on as a new user then used File/Open to open my Money file which I had copied to a shared folder. I then opened a new OFX file from my bank while Money was running and it was imported successfully.

Now how do I find which setting in my old user account is causing the problem? Is it a matter of comparing all the settings in the old and new accounts and changing those that are different one at a time? It would be good if there was a quicker way as each change will require a new OFX file import in order to test it.

Before starting making changes, make a new Windows restore point, in case you want to get back to the current settings.

If you wanted to find which setting did it for you, you could do a "binary search". Make a screen capture (Alt+PrtSc)  of the current settings, and paste into Paint, and save the file(s).

Go back to the original user, and open your Paint file(s). In IE9, change half of the settings that are different. There may not be that many. If no change, it must have been one of the other half.

Continue with your binary search.

Now if you don't really care which one did it but you just want to fix it, you could do the following: Tools->InternetOptions->Advanced->RestoreAdvancedSettings. Reset is required to make some of the changes happen.  Also, Tools->InternetOptions->Security->ResetAllZonesToDefaultLevel.

I intend to split this into its own thread with subject "Web OFX files not Launched while Money is Open." That would make it easier for somebody with a similar problem to locate the discussion.
    Sunday, April 22, 2012 10:12 PM
  • Cal,

It has taken me all this time to get around to trying your last suggestion. When I compared the Advanced internet settings in the two user accounts there was only one difference: "Enable Smartscreen Filter" was ticked in the new A/C but not in the original one.  This made no difference.

I also tried resetting both the Advanced settings and the Security settings to default - also without effect.  Using my original A/C I still have to import the OFX files before I open Money.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:29 PM
  • Cal, 

Still having to import .OFX files before opening Money. This is now also the case with the new user A/C I created earlier. Initially, I opened an OFX file from my bank while Money was running in this new user A/C and it was imported successfully, but when I tried it again recently it wouldn't work.

I have now found that if I open the OFX file while Money is running and then do a Quick Repair, the file immediately loads. Unfortunately the next time I run Money and try to open an OFX file it fails to import again unless I close and re-open Money OR run a Quick Repair again.

Does this give any clues as to what is happenening?

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 2:57 PM
  • Is "A/C" your abbreviation for a Money file? I think you may be saying that when you create a new file for test purposes, it takes the OFX file OK.

You could try making a repaired version of your file with
    File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 8:02 PM
  • Hi Cal,

No I was referring to the new Windows user account that I created at your suggestion of April 22nd above. Initially Money took the OFX file correctly in this user account and I searched for differences in settings between the two accounts but found none.  Now when I went back to this "new" user account it no longer works properly showing the same problems as my usual account.

I have tried both types of repair, but neither corrects the problem the next time the money file is used.  Running the quick repair when there is a "pending" OFX file results in it updating immediately the repair is completed. However, I don't know if it is wise to keep running the quick repair each time I want to load an OFX file when Money is already opened although it is slightly quicker to do this than shut Money down and then re-open it.

I have got into the habit now of downloading any OFX files I need before opening Money so it is largely of academic interest.

Thanks for your continued interest

Regards,

Andy

• Edited by Clacksman Tuesday, December 11, 2012 9:25 PM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 9:23 PM
  • There may be  a security setting in Windows Firewall causing this.

Go to the Control Panel, and open Windows Firewall, click the button/link to allow a program access through the firewall, click the button to make changes (don't wait for any pop-ups or dialog changes), then click the button near the bottom of the dialog to add a program. Browse to your "Program Files (x86)" folder (if running 64 bit Windows), open Microsoft Money Plus (or appropriate Money installation folder) then open the MnyCoreFiles folder. This is a hidden system folder which may be hidden to you if you have not turned on the folder options to show all hidden and system files/folders. If MnyCoreFiles is not visible, type it and hit Enter - it should open showing new files. Find "mnyimprt.exe" and select that. Accept the changes.

Now you should be able to import the OFX file while Money is open and running.

Note: You may also need to add the MsMoney.exe program - it will be in the suggested list when you click the button to add a program. You won't need to browse for that.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 6:35 AM
  • Hi Cal,

My Windows Firewall is turned off and its function replaced by a Macafee package supplied by my ISP. I found that MnyCoreFiles was not present in the permitted programs list so I added it. MsMoney was already there with full access.

Unfortunately this has made no difference.

Thanks anyway,

Andy

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:59 AM
  • My Windows Firewall is turned off and its function replaced by a Macafee package supplied by my ISP. I found that MnyCoreFiles was not present in the permitted programs list so I added it.

mnyimprt.exe is the one to add; it is located in the MnyCoreFiles folder.
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 5:13 PM
  • Sorry, my mistake it was mnyimprt.exe that I added not MnyCoreFiles.

Andy

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 11:09 PM
  • Could you turn off your firewall for a bit while you do a test or two? If you are behind a NAT router and only visiting your financial institution, that should be safe. Just an idea.

Thursday, December 13, 2012 12:36 AM
  • On reflection, I don't think this is a firewall issue at all since I get the same problem with OFX files I have previously saved onto my computer.

If Money is already open when I open a saved OFX file Money ignores it but if I open the saved OFX file and then open Money it updates OK.

Andy

Thursday, December 13, 2012 9:08 AM