Paranoid to Delete Pairs RRS feed

• Question

• I have searched for this answer without luck.

If I delete a folder pair, am I deleting the folders and their contents or am I just deleting sync toy's (tracking) files?

I've always been paranoid to delete pairs.

I'm having an issue between my network drive and my local drive.

They are different file systems (NTFS and FAT32). Initially I copied the folder up to the network drive. Afterword I try to synchronize the pre-existing folders and the preview shows different file dates for all files. This would require me to sync every file. Any suggestions?

Thursday, November 13, 2008 4:32 AM

Answers

• Hi Iqak

No you do not need to delete your files in your network folder.  SyncToy will detect the difference between the creation time of files in L and N and will resolve that conflict by itself.  At the end you will end up with seeing that all files in L and N have the same creation time stamp.

Maria del Mar Alvarez Rohena - MSFT

Saturday, November 15, 2008 1:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Iqak

If you delete a pair, your just do that you delete the pair, not the folders, not their content, you just delete sync toy's metadata for that pair.

Let me see if I am understanding you correctly,  You have your local drive, lets call it L, and your network drive, N.  You copied a folder from L to N manually (without sync toy),  Then you tried to synchronized this folder on L with the folder you copied on N. 

Since you copied the files manually, this changed the copied files creation time.  Now you are saying, that because files in N have different creation times from the ones on L, SyncToy is wanting to sync every file.

Did I understand correctly your scenario?

Maria del Mar Alvarez - MSFT
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 6:13 PM
  • Exactamente!!

Should I just start from scrach with the network folder?
    Friday, November 14, 2008 4:07 AM
  • Hi Iqak

No you do not need to delete your files in your network folder.  SyncToy will detect the difference between the creation time of files in L and N and will resolve that conflict by itself.  At the end you will end up with seeing that all files in L and N have the same creation time stamp.

Maria del Mar Alvarez Rohena - MSFT

Saturday, November 15, 2008 1:05 AM