Support for login script/Group policy to redirect Documents folder RRS feed

• Question

• Is there the facility to configure a user so that their Documents, Pictures etc folder is redirected to point at WHS?

Could be a useful add in.
    Thursday, September 6, 2007 3:39 AM

Answers

• There is nothing built in to WHS to do what you want. That would require Active Directory and centralized user account control, which Windows Home Server doesn't support.

You can manually repoint users' My Documents folders to a location on the server, if you want them to point to a central location. This is easy enough that you can manually do it in a few minutes (except for the moving of files which could take a long time if you have a lot of files under My Documents):
    • right click My Documents
    • select Properties
    • Click the Move... button
    • Select a location (a folder under the user's folder on WHS perhaps, but be careful with files like Outlook .pst files, which shouldn't be stored on a network share) and click OK
    • Windows will ask you if you wnat to move files; say Yes. This may take a while.
    If you do this for all the users on all the PCs in your house, pointing a user to the same location on all PCs, you can get some of the benefits of a roaming profile: the same documents are avaialble whereever you log in, and they're protected against unintended modification by the Previous Versions functionality that Windows Server 2003 supports.

You can also move other shell folders, but My Documents is probably the most important one.
    Thursday, September 6, 2007 12:10 PM

All replies

• There is nothing built in to WHS to do what you want. That would require Active Directory and centralized user account control, which Windows Home Server doesn't support.

You can manually repoint users' My Documents folders to a location on the server, if you want them to point to a central location. This is easy enough that you can manually do it in a few minutes (except for the moving of files which could take a long time if you have a lot of files under My Documents):
    • right click My Documents
    • select Properties
    • Click the Move... button
    • Select a location (a folder under the user's folder on WHS perhaps, but be careful with files like Outlook .pst files, which shouldn't be stored on a network share) and click OK
    • Windows will ask you if you wnat to move files; say Yes. This may take a while.
    If you do this for all the users on all the PCs in your house, pointing a user to the same location on all PCs, you can get some of the benefits of a roaming profile: the same documents are avaialble whereever you log in, and they're protected against unintended modification by the Previous Versions functionality that Windows Server 2003 supports.

You can also move other shell folders, but My Documents is probably the most important one.
    Thursday, September 6, 2007 12:10 PM
  • Evening,

A way to do it for the less experienced, is to use TweakUI from Microsoft. Covers a multitude of items and is straightforward to use.

Colin

Thursday, September 6, 2007 5:55 PM