Windows 7 get genuine RRS feed

• Question

• I've got Windows XP, and got a message for some time telling me it is not genuine.

I validated yesterday, and system told me that I could get an update to Windows 7 by getting the "Windows 7 Home Premium Get Genuine Online Kit".

I then bought the kit (95 Euro), and got a new product key. 

Finally, I used the "Product Key Update tool", but when entering the new product key, I got an error message : "The product key entered is not a valid key for this system. Please check it for typing errors and try again".

Is there any reason why this does not work ? Do I need perhaps to buy any other upgrade from my Windows XP to Windows 7 ?

Thanks,

Carles.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 5:26 PM

Answers

• Hello Carles Alba,

The Windows 7 Home Premium product key can only be used to activate an installation of Windows 7 Home Premium.  It should not be expected to activate a Windows XP installation.

Were you informed that Microsoft would be sending you a Windows 7 Home Premium installation disc in the mail, or were you provided with a link to download Windows 7 installation files?

Were you offered a Windows XP Get Genuine Kit?  If so, IMO that is the one you should have purchased.  What if your computer is too underpowered to run Windows 7?

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:13 PM
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 7:31 PM