Back Up on XP RRS feed

• Question

• I currently back up using Live One Care which backs up to a CD RW in the D Drive. My Live one Care expires in August and in the XP System Tools for Back Up my only choices for a back up destination is the Floppy A Drive or a removable E Drive. Is there anyway in XP that I can back up to a disk in the D Drive similiar to how Live One Care does now?
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 4:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• You should be able to use your CD drive for backups after One Care is uninstalled. After uninstalling One Care you should download and save the One Care backup restore tool so that you can access your One Care backups if needed - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecarebackupandrestore/thread/e5d686c8-762b-4b22-bc08-bfb93f911e57

Jim

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 5:54 PM
  • I unistalled One Care today and restarted my computer so the uninstall would be in effect. I still can't do a backup to the CD Drive. I went to system tools/backup and the back up wizard still only has options to backup to the A Drive or a removable E Drive. It would take so many disks to backup using the A Drive. I did download and save the One Care backup restore tool so right now I can restore to my last backup but that doesn't help me create new backups. Will I have to install another Company's back up software in order to backup to the CD Drive?

Thanks,

Danny

Saturday, August 14, 2010 7:01 PM
  • If Windows backup doesn't recognize your CD drive try this utility - http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

Jim

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Saturday, August 14, 2010 9:31 PM
  • Jim,

I downloaded this utility per the instructions but my xp backup still doesn't let me use the cd drive to perform the backup. I appreciate your help though.

Danny

Monday, August 16, 2010 12:33 PM
  • Jim,

I downloaded this utility per the instructions but my xp backup still doesn't let me use the cd drive to perform the backup. I appreciate your help though.

Danny

Since you've removed OneCare and the utility didn't fix it, assuming that the CD drive is a CD Burner and you have a blank writeable disk in the drive, 

Your question may be better posed to one of the forums here -

XP: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsxp

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, August 16, 2010 12:47 PM
  • Since I was able to download the One Care Restore Program is there a link to also download the One Care Backup Program since this one works for using the cd drive as my backup destination?
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 12:52 PM
  • Since I was able to download the One Care Restore Program is there a link to also download the One Care Backup Program since this one works for using the cd drive as my backup destination?

There is no OneCare backup program. The Restore Utility was created to allow OneCare users to restore files after their subscription ended or after they switched to Windows 7. If you wish to backup to your CD burner, you may want to check if your CD Burning software (Roxio, Nero, etc) includes a backup module. It will have a data burning component, but that would mean manually creating discs.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 3:00 PM
  • Thank you Steve. I appreciate the quick response and info. I will look into the backup that Nero has to offer.
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 4:38 PM