WHS Vista, or XP RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi All,
    I've recently re-built my server at home.
    I used to use Windows XP but I've now built a server that is running Windows Home Server, but I am in a ponder as to whether or not I should have used it, or used a copy of Vista Business I have.

I have got around the problem of the 20gig partition by interupting my installation and using Diskpart (I think that is what it was) so I now have a 500gig boot drive split in Two.  One holding the WHS and the other for the DATA etc....

I also have 3 more drives, another 500gig the same spec as the first, and two more drives which are 1TB drives of same spec.  When I originally wanted to build this, I was just going to use some lower spec gear I had hanging around, but like all things, once I got to start it, I went with an Asus P5B mb, 2.8ghz P4 CPU, 2 gig of ram, and a GeForce 8500 Video card!!!

Ok, so my real question is whether I should have used WHS instead of Vista as it would now appear that it is hard to find any other software to run on it!!  I would also like to be able to use the PC/Server on occasion for additional tasks such as viewing spreadsheets, media storage, file sharing etc...  I've discovered that niether Office OR MS Works will load so I would love to know what software can be used on WHS, or should I just use Vista.

My main use intended for the WHS is to backup our various PC's and Laptops in the house and store our Photo's and Music Collection.

I would then like to be able to use the storage to be able to access the Media such as Music and Photos on our Media PC etc......

Should I include ALL my drives in the PC into the WHS enviroment, or just as shared drives accross the network???

Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

Dave.
    • Changed type kariya21Moderator Sunday, September 6, 2009 11:36 PM not a technical question
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 3:54 PM

All replies

• Hi All,
    I've recently re-built my server at home.
    I used to use Windows XP but I've now built a server that is running Windows Home Server, but I am in a ponder as to whether or not I should have used it, or used a copy of Vista Business I have.

I have got around the problem of the 20gig partition by interupting my installation and using Diskpart (I think that is what it was) so I now have a 500gig boot drive split in Two.  One holding the WHS and the other for the DATA etc....

Changing the way WHS installs is unsupported and will make a Server Reinstallation difficult, if not impossible (not to mention any updates that come along may adversely affect your server).

I also have 3 more drives, another 500gig the same spec as the first, and two more drives which are 1TB drives of same spec.  When I originally wanted to build this, I was just going to use some lower spec gear I had hanging around, but like all things, once I got to start it, I went with an Asus P5B mb, 2.8ghz P4 CPU, 2 gig of ram, and a GeForce 8500 Video card!!!

Ok, so my real question is whether I should have used WHS instead of Vista as it would now appear that it is hard to find any other software to run on it!!  I would also like to be able to use the PC/Server on occasion for additional tasks such as viewing spreadsheets, media storage, file sharing etc...  I've discovered that niether Office OR MS Works will load so I would love to know what software can be used on WHS, or should I just use Vista.

Using WHS the way you want to (as a workstation) is also unsupported.  (As a matter of fact, logging into the server desktop for any reason is unsupported.)  IMO, you need to make a decision: do you want a server or a workstation, then stick with what you want.  If you want both, you should have 2 different boxes set up (1 for WHS and the other for XP/Vista/7).

My main use intended for the WHS is to backup our various PC's and Laptops in the house and store our Photo's and Music Collection.

I would then like to be able to use the storage to be able to access the Media such as Music and Photos on our Media PC etc......

Should I include ALL my drives in the PC into the WHS enviroment, or just as shared drives accross the network???

FYI, once you add a drive to the WHS storage pool, it automatically gets formatted.

Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

Dave.

Sunday, September 6, 2009 4:28 PM
  • Hi, and thanks for your reply and views.

I don't really need a workstation as I have plenty, but I guess I would liike the option, i.e. to have it running file share etc...

I'm aware that any drives will be formatted once part of the WHS interface (as it were) but obviously they can exist in the PC (Server) as drives and drive letters in thier own right, and should be able to be set as shared accross my network?

This way, I could have say some of my drives taken up by WHS for backups etc, and th others for just sharing accross my network for storing and accessing of my files such as Music & Photos?

I'm also looking for a good backup facility.

Also, as WHS seems to be basically a copy of Windows Server 2003 in a different coat, can I set it to run software or applications for other PC's on my network, from those PC's ??

I'm wondering whether to use this machine with Vista Business with some additional back up software, and then maybe a small basic machine with one large drive and WHS to carry out backups accross my network?
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 8:15 PM
  • Hi, and thanks for your reply and views.

I don't really need a workstation as I have plenty, but I guess I would liike the option, i.e. to have it running file share etc...

You can do that without a server OS.

I'm aware that any drives will be formatted once part of the WHS interface (as it were) but obviously they can exist in the PC (Server) as drives and drive letters in thier own right, and should be able to be set as shared accross my network?

If you don't add the drive to the storage pool, yes.  But it's unsupported.

This way, I could have say some of my drives taken up by WHS for backups etc, and th others for just sharing accross my network for storing and accessing of my files such as Music & Photos?

Yes, but what's the point?  You could just as easily add the drives to the WHS storage pool and accomplish the same thing plus more (media streaming, Folder Duplication, etc.) and it would be supported.

I'm also looking for a good backup facility.

Also, as WHS seems to be basically a copy of Windows Server 2003 in a different coat, can I set it to run software or applications for other PC's on my network, from those PC's ??

Do you mean, for example, installing Office on your server and having your clients all use that installation?  First, that would also be unsupported (and, in this case, a violation of Office's EULA).  Plus you would need to change the Terminal Server function on WHS (which I believe would also be a violation of the EULA) and it might break other functionality of WHS (alhtough I've never tried it).

I'm wondering whether to use this machine with Vista Business with some additional back up software, and then maybe a small basic machine with one large drive and WHS to carry out backups accross my network?
    That's basically what I said (2 different boxes).  You wouldn't even need additional backup software on your Vista Business PC (just back it up to your server).  The server hardware doesn't need to be much either as long as you stay within the supported use of it (especially if you only use it as a backup device).
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 11:34 PM