Backup a client machine when it is turned off RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to backup computers which are turned off (or are in sleep mode)? Usually at night my pc's are turned off

Max

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 2:59 PM

Answers

• Yes. Assuming your client computer is properly configured (sleep and/or hibernation mode) and the Windows Home Server connector is configured to automatically wake the PC for backups, then it should wake when it's ready to back up, and (again, if configured to do so) go back to sleep again afterward. If you client PC is turned off it will not boot up to back up, and if it's running on battery (i.e. a laptop), it won't wake to back up.

Note that Windows Home Server doesn't use Wake On LAN. The client component of the backup engine sets a hardware timer on the client computer which wakes it when it's time for a backup. This timer is reset during every backup window (nightly, by default) to a random time during the next backup window.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Tuesday, October 20, 2009 3:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by maxL1 Tuesday, October 20, 2009 7:22 PM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 3:54 PM
  • Right click the system tray icon and select Wake This Computer for Backup.
    • Marked as answer by maxL1 Tuesday, October 20, 2009 7:21 PM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:49 PM

All replies

• Yes, search the web for this and you will find plenty of information.  Basically you use wake-on-lan.  Search wake-on-lan and WHS and you will find more info than you need.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 3:32 PM
  • Yes. Assuming your client computer is properly configured (sleep and/or hibernation mode) and the Windows Home Server connector is configured to automatically wake the PC for backups, then it should wake when it's ready to back up, and (again, if configured to do so) go back to sleep again afterward. If you client PC is turned off it will not boot up to back up, and if it's running on battery (i.e. a laptop), it won't wake to back up.

Note that Windows Home Server doesn't use Wake On LAN. The client component of the backup engine sets a hardware timer on the client computer which wakes it when it's time for a backup. This timer is reset during every backup window (nightly, by default) to a random time during the next backup window.

• Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Tuesday, October 20, 2009 3:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by maxL1 Tuesday, October 20, 2009 7:22 PM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 3:54 PM
  • Hi Ken, Thanks for your reply which is very helpfull. Just one newbee question onthat: What if I answered wrong on installing the connector, is there a way to adjust this (or do I have to deinstall?)
    Thanks for your help,

Max
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:27 PM
  • Right click the system tray icon and select Wake This Computer for Backup.
    • Marked as answer by maxL1 Tuesday, October 20, 2009 7:21 PM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:49 PM
  • Thanks for the help!

Max
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 7:21 PM
  • You can of course also change the time frame for backups in the Console under Settings to a time, at which the PCs are running anyway. At least with a Gigabit wired connection the impact of all backups but the first to the clients is not heavy.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, October 23, 2009 7:49 AM