i already have a genuine disk...but i reformated my windows enough that i cant use it anymore RRS feed

• Question

• this is really frustrating...i have and i know its a genuine version of windows...why? because two weeks ago when my pc was working...i had no problems with the wga...now after i've reformated my hardrive (again for the thirteenth time) it will not let me register the code...i'm the only one who has opened the shrink wrap on the disk...i'm the only one who has used this code...please, Microsoft email me: srpaintbstar@gmail.com
    Wednesday, July 12, 2006 5:13 PM

Answers

• Sroop16,

Are you seeing a message along the lines of "activated too many times?"

Product Activation is set to temporarily suspend your Product Key if it is used more frequently or more times than "normal."  However, as long as you are in compliance with the EULA, you are authorized to activate XP an unlimited number of times.

Select the option to activate by telephone.  The phone reps will see the too many times flag, verify that you are using XP in accordance with the EULA, then release the suspension or issue a telephone activation code.  Most people say this takes 3-5 minutes on the phone

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 5:40 PM

All replies

• Sroop16,

To help me understand the issue further can you please follow the steps below?

1. Download and run the WGA Diagnostic Tool  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

2. After running the WGA Diagnostic Tool, click on the "Windows" tab and then click on "Copy to Clipboard". Paste the results into your forum response.

Thanks,

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 5:16 PM
  • Sroop16,

Are you seeing a message along the lines of "activated too many times?"

Product Activation is set to temporarily suspend your Product Key if it is used more frequently or more times than "normal."  However, as long as you are in compliance with the EULA, you are authorized to activate XP an unlimited number of times.

Select the option to activate by telephone.  The phone reps will see the too many times flag, verify that you are using XP in accordance with the EULA, then release the suspension or issue a telephone activation code.  Most people say this takes 3-5 minutes on the phone

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 5:40 PM