Names resolution not working RRS feed

• Question

• I am not sure if this should be posted in software, howerver here goes:

I have a home built WHS running the MyMovies Server Add-in

My DHCP & DNS are handled by my IPCOP firewall.

There are 3 switches

1 wireless Linksys router used as an AP

2 client computers on the same domain as the WHS.

I was trying to configure the MyMovies client on my HTPC for barcode scanning using an Xbox 360 USB webcam that I had laying around. I installed the driver and noticed that there was an update that went along with the driver. So I downloaded, installed and rebooted.

After rebooting the MyMovies client could not find the WHS server by name or IP.

I checked the WHS server and it was running, it was fully configured for all services, the connectors were running, I could access the WHS through the console, I could access via remote, I could access the WHS urls (http://servername:55000, etc). So ran CMD and pinged the WHS and got a response. Next I tried nslookup and it failed for WHS, but worked for everything else on my network.  I also tried checking from another client on my network same story.

So I logged into IPcop and checked the GUI. My homeserver was “invisible”: no IP, no MAC, no name. I tired deleting the WHS instances from my firewall: static IP, etc. I started rebooting everything, including my modem. Nslookup still failed and everything else still worked.

Finally I tried to uninstall Mymovies, which failed, I tried to do a reg clean, which didn’t work. I tried installing other addins, they worked fine.

So as a last resort I did a server reinstall and set everything up all over again. I reconfigured all user names, reinstalled my movies, everything seemed to work. However I was left with the same problem: nslookup fails for my WHS, and MyMovies doesn’t work.

As I  mentioned earlier, nslookup works for everything other than WHS (by name or ip). However I can ping WHS.

I kept the same name on my WHS as before the reinstall.

Could changing something on a client computer affect the WHS name resolution for the entire network?

Prior to this everything worked fairly well. I had finally backed up over 1tb of data, and was considering adding a new drive to extend my pool. I could stream to my HTPC and the Mymovies client picked up my data base.  

Everything else seems to work other than names resolution and the fact that my WHS is invisible to my firewall/dhcp/dns server.

Thank you.

Thursday, March 19, 2009 4:29 PM

Answers

• The Ipcop server acts as my DHCP & DNS server. It is more of a Gateway Firewall, although it does also segregate internal networks. I this istance everything is on the same internal network. None of my devices call outside for DNS info.

Ports were all configured properly, WHS was working properly and stopped suddenly.

Nothing I did could make it work. A PCI based NIC on a new IP did work...

Bringing down and resettnig my entire network revived the motherboard based port and it was no longer invisible to my DNS or DHCP server.

It was really odd because all other services worked.

Now Mymovies and add-ins are not functioning. So it looks like 1 more reinstall is in order.
    Friday, March 20, 2009 7:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    nslookup will only work properly, if your DNS server entry points to a real DNS server, which knows the name of your WHS. This will not happen in many cases, because a DNS server at an ISP cannot know the internal name and address of your home server and the most routers are able to handle DNS requests only as a forwarder (and know, which requests do not need to be forwarded, i.e. names without domain suffix).
    There is not such a thing like a domain for WHS - WHS in a domain is an unsupported scenario, which will cause a lot of trouble.
    3rd party firewalls are always a pain (especially if they are between the server and the router, given the most routers also act as a firewall). Using a router as switch or AP may have also unwanted side effects, since the routers tend to use an own subnet often and WHS should be in the same subnet as the clients.

Check the documentation of the software you wish to use, if it needs certain ports allowed in the Firewall (including Windows Firewall of the server).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 7:20 PM
  • The Ipcop server acts as my DHCP & DNS server. It is more of a Gateway Firewall, although it does also segregate internal networks. I this istance everything is on the same internal network. None of my devices call outside for DNS info.

Ports were all configured properly, WHS was working properly and stopped suddenly.

Nothing I did could make it work. A PCI based NIC on a new IP did work...

Bringing down and resettnig my entire network revived the motherboard based port and it was no longer invisible to my DNS or DHCP server.

It was really odd because all other services worked.

Now Mymovies and add-ins are not functioning. So it looks like 1 more reinstall is in order.
    Friday, March 20, 2009 7:28 PM