XP Pro disc wil not accept product key RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I have an old AMD Sempron 2800+  and had to replace the HDD. I was given a Windows XP Pro cd with the computer, even though the computer had XP Home SP2 installed. I replaced the HDD, and tried to install the XP Pro version, but the product Key is "invalid". I checked the Key on the cd twice to make sure i had it written down correctly.  The CD looks as far as i can tell genuine, just that it came in a paper sleeve taped to the box.  

There is a sticker on the computer box , however thinking that a new HDD would not matter, as i have found out, it does! Most of the sticker is there, but some of it is missing, so i don't know if it is a one off or OEM. 

All help appreciated,

Aljay in Oz

I have read forums, and seen a lot of the same issues, however i have tried most things and still not have a resolution to this problem

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 5:20 AM

Answers

• "Aljay1" wrote in message news:f5ebf8a7-9a8f-4e71-be99-372cd88f600c...

Hi all, I have an old AMD Sempron 2800+  and had to replace the HDD. I was given a Windows XP Pro cd with the computer, even though the computer had XP Home SP2 installed. I replaced the HDD, and tried to install the XP Pro version, but the product Key is "invalid". I checked the Key on the cd twice to make sure i had it written down correctly.  The CD looks as far as i can tell genuine, just that it came in a paper sleeve taped to the box.  

There is a sticker on the computer box , however thinking that a new HDD would not matter, as i have found out, it does! Most of the sticker is there, but some of it is missing, so i don't know if it is a one off or OEM. 

All help appreciated,

Aljay in Oz

I have read forums, and seen a lot of the same issues, however i have tried most things and still not have a resolution to this problem

A number of problems here....
    1) Windows Product Keys do NOT appear anywhere on the CD/DVD
    2) Your vendor should have provided the correct Key and disks for your install - you cannot activate a Home install with a Pro Key, or vice-versa.
    3) The HDD is irrelevant mostly - it's only the motherboard which is likely to take your system beyond tolerance (unless you upgrade a number of other things at the same time)

It sounds very much as if your vendor installed a non-genuine copy of Windows.
    You say that you have a COA Sticker on the case - which version and edition of Windows is quoted on it?
    Please compare the sticker and disk with the ones shown in the following site - http://www.microsoft.com/howtotell/ 
    You will need a copy of XP Home if your Key is for Home edition.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Saturday, April 23, 2011 12:06 AM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 5:30 AM