NAT Forwarding??? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all!

One of the main reasons for me buying WHS was the remote access feature. I found out that my ISP was blocking certain ports and so I asked them which ones they were not. They told me. I forwarded home server stuffs according to this tutorial.
    It still did not work. So I asked the IT guys at work and they said that I need to either enable NAT forwarding or disable it (I can't remember). But they warned this leaves you very open. Is this true? I would like for remote access to work but not at the expense of my network being left unsecure.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

John McKnight
    Saturday, August 9, 2008 1:26 PM

Answers

• John McKnight said:

Alright, I have finally come to the decision that if this is what has to be done, so be it. Do I just boot from the original CD and then it will be simple from there?

When you boot from the DVD, you should be presented with 2 options:  Server Reinstallation and New Installation.  You want Server Reinstallation.  This mode will wipe the OS partition, but leave everything else alone.  (If you don't get Server Reinstallation as an option, don't go any further because the other option, New Installation, will format everything.)  Once it's done, all you need to do is recreate any users and re-install any add-ins you had before.
    Sunday, September 14, 2008 9:20 PM

All replies

•  John McKnight wrote:
    Hello all!

One of the main reasons for me buying WHS was the remote access feature. I found out that my ISP was blocking certain ports and so I asked them which ones they were not. They told me. I forwarded home server stuffs according to this tutorial.

That page will definitely not work.  That's for the HP Media Vault Server.  You might want to try this page instead.

John McKnight wrote:
    It still did not work. So I asked the IT guys at work and they said that I need to either enable NAT forwarding or disable it (I can't remember). But they warned this leaves you very open. Is this true? I would like for remote access to work but not at the expense of my network being left unsecure.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

John McKnight

I assume you mean Port Forwarding?  If so, it doesn't leave you any more "open" than using the standard ports.  As a matter of fact, it might even be slightly more secure (since you will be using some random port number that you pick, compared to the standard web and ssl ports).

Saturday, August 9, 2008 2:52 PM

• Hi Kariya,

I tried the above tutorial and it does not seem to be helping my problem. I tested it externally by going to a broken link checker and it says that it gets a 404 error. I've checked and rechecked the configuration and everything is configed just as in the tutorial

I might have failed to mention that I built my WHS out of a computer I had. Would this make a difference?

Very frustrated,
    John McKnight
    Sunday, August 10, 2008 7:28 AM
  •  John McKnight wrote:

Hi Kariya,

I tried the above tutorial and it does not seem to be helping my problem. I tested it externally by going to a broken link checker and it says that it gets a 404 error. I've checked and rechecked the configuration and everything is configed just as in the tutorial

I might have failed to mention that I built my WHS out of a computer I had. Would this make a difference?

Very frustrated,
    John McKnight

No, it wouldn't many any difference.

Does your ISP block all 3 ports (80, 443, 4125) or just some of them?

Sunday, August 10, 2008 2:01 PM
  • John.

If you are using ports outside the blocked range, when you try to access from outside your network, you will need to add the particular port number to the end of the server address you are using.

Also, if you have a NAT router, and your server is using standard ports, then you will need to translate those external ports to the ones used by WHS, for example, if your external port is:123 for http traffic, you will need to direct it to :80 on your server.

Colin

Sunday, August 10, 2008 4:17 PM

• Hi Colin,

I know this post is from a while ago but the problem still persists. When you say "
    If you are using ports outside the blocked range, when you try to access from outside your network, you will need to add the particular port number to the end of the server address you are using." I have done this. For example, http://blaablaa.homeserver.com:8008/home/

As for the second part of you reply I have tryed this and no luck. My ISP told me they block ports 1-1120 or something. I have chosen ports well beyond the range they block. Do you think there is any other solution? Can I pay someone to remote in and fix this problem??

Thanks!
    Monday, September 1, 2008 2:50 PM
  • John, in order to help you, we are going to need to know the specific errors you're seeing when you try to access your remote access web site.
    Monday, September 1, 2008 3:11 PM

• Hi Ken,

I am not getting any errors when I try to view the page from one of my computers that is on the network. I get a 404 Error when I run the link threw a dead link checker and also when I visit the page from my work or friends computers.

I have tried many tutorials with no success...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Monday, September 1, 2008 6:14 PM

• In short, I cannot access my WHS remotely.

Monday, September 1, 2008 6:19 PM
  • Okay. Let's start with configuration of your server. Have you fully configured Remote Access on your server? When you view Settings → Remote Access in the console, what does it report? When you view Details... for your router? When you view Details... for your domain name?
    Monday, September 1, 2008 8:23 PM

• Web Site Connectivity - Web Sites are ON
    • Router Configuration Details - Not Working
      • Verifying that your router supports UPnP standards (CHECKED)
      • - Configuring your router (CHECKED)
      • - Verifying that your website is avalible on your home server (X'ed)
    • Domain Name - Configured but not verified
      • Verifying your internet connection to windows live (CHECKED)
      • Updating Windows Live custom domains (CHECKED)
      • Verifying your website is accessible from the internet (X'ed)
      • Verifying Remote Access is available from the internet (X'ed)
      • Verifying Windows Live custom domain records (CHECKED)

Here you go Ken!

Thanks for looking into this.

JM
    Tuesday, September 2, 2008 6:17 AM
  • Okay. The problem is that the WHS seb sites aren't functioning. Since your web sites aren't responding (I assume you get an error when you try the URL HTTP://<servername> on some other PC at home) the action most likely to correct your issue is going to be a server reinstallation or (if you have an HP unit) server recovery.

Have you installed any add-ins, though? Or any software (any server configuration at all, really) through a remote desktop session or the server's physical console?
    Tuesday, September 2, 2008 11:39 AM
  • Hi Ken,

I have installed a few add-ins. I used Remote Desktop Connection to install them. I was very carful when I was doing it, as not to mess anything up.

You really think I will have to server re-install?!

Friday, September 12, 2008 4:22 PM
  • John,

Any Add-Ins you might have, should only ever be installed through the Console after downloading them to the Add-Ins folder which is in Shared Folders - Software.

It does sound like a re-install might be the quickest way to a resolution I'm afraid.

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Friday, September 12, 2008 5:19 PM
  • I don't know what exactly you did. If I did, it's possible that the changes could be backed out and your server could be returned to full functionality. It's also possible that trying would prove to be a huge time sink with no resolution at the end of the day.

As a practical matter, reinstallation resets the operating system and Windows Home Server to the beginning (except that you will still have the files in your shares, and your backups) by wiping your system (C:\) partition. That will fix whatever's wrong now for sure. You'll have to recreate users, reinstall add-ins, rejoin computers to the server etc. If you customized things in other ways, take a look at exactly what you want to do; something about those customizations is almost certainly the root of this issue.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 12, 2008 5:24 PM
  • Alright, I have finally come to the decision that if this is what has to be done, so be it. Do I just boot from the original CD and then it will be simple from there?

Sunday, September 14, 2008 7:51 PM
  • John McKnight said:

Alright, I have finally come to the decision that if this is what has to be done, so be it. Do I just boot from the original CD and then it will be simple from there?

When you boot from the DVD, you should be presented with 2 options:  Server Reinstallation and New Installation.  You want Server Reinstallation.  This mode will wipe the OS partition, but leave everything else alone.  (If you don't get Server Reinstallation as an option, don't go any further because the other option, New Installation, will format everything.)  Once it's done, all you need to do is recreate any users and re-install any add-ins you had before.
    Sunday, September 14, 2008 9:20 PM