difference between 120 day eval version and OEM version for purchase RRS feed

• Question

• getting ready to purchase the 'real' WHS version as I am finishing up my eval with the 120 day trial version. 

was just curious...the trial version was very 'consumer friendly' with 3 separate disks for install, recovery and client.   just looking at the pictures at Newegg; looks like the OEM version has just has one disk labeled "for system builder install"    do you have to burn your own disks for recovery and client install....or is the picture on the new egg site misleading and i will get basically the same 3 disk package when i buy the OEM version?

thanks!

Friday, January 30, 2009 9:41 PM

Answers

• tlh53 said:

thanks, but that wasn't my question...i understand the nature of the time-out trial..i was asking what you actually get in the box and if it was different than what came in the trial package.

Hi,
    the trial package is very much the same content as the OEM, besides the code on the server install DVD and the product key. The CD for system builders is additional material in the OEM package.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Saturday, January 31, 2009 12:49 AM
  • Every feature in the full product is also in the trial. The only difference between the two is the time bomb in the trial. If you were unable to get e.g. remote access working, it's not because you were using the trial software, so that issue will still exist.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 1:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

the disks are not exactly the same, since they do not have the time bomb of the trial version (which is embedded in the code). So if you want to continue using Windows Home Server on your hardware, you need to perform a server reinstall with the OEM DVD.

Olaf

Friday, January 30, 2009 10:11 PM
  • thanks, but that wasn't my question...i understand the nature of the time-out trial..i was asking what you actually get in the box and if it was different than what came in the trial package.
    Friday, January 30, 2009 10:21 PM
  • tlh53 said:

thanks, but that wasn't my question...i understand the nature of the time-out trial..i was asking what you actually get in the box and if it was different than what came in the trial package.

Hi,
    the trial package is very much the same content as the OEM, besides the code on the server install DVD and the product key. The CD for system builders is additional material in the OEM package.

Olaf

Saturday, January 31, 2009 12:49 AM
  • Hi, I'm in the same boat.  I ordered the OEM from NewEgg and got it today.  The package includes essentially the same discs:

1.  Server Installation DVD (Includes Power Pack 1)
    2. Home Computer Restore CD (ditto)
    3. Windows (r) Home Server Connector software CD (also with Power Pack 1)

I plan on installing tonight.  I'm excited to get the remote access and other features that the trial doesn't provide.

--Tom
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 1:24 AM
  • Every feature in the full product is also in the trial. The only difference between the two is the time bomb in the trial. If you were unable to get e.g. remote access working, it's not because you were using the trial software, so that issue will still exist.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 1:53 AM