Authenticating Failure RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I can't get authenticated. This is the error message:
    HTML META Tag - We were not able to locate your authorization code.

I am using Blogger to host a very simple website so I can't do the XML file thing and instead have to use the meta tag provided by Live.

I am copying and pasting the meta tag, as provided by Live, just above </head>:

<meta name="msvalidate.01" content="C06F7221A2D53A576F8CD7B25727611D" />

But, once Blogger has saved the code, Blogger "reformats it" and it ends up looking like this:

<meta content='C06F7221A2D53A576F8CD7B25727611D' name='msvalidate.01'/>

and I think that might be why the Live validation can't find the meta tag in my site.

Any ideas .... anyone?

(I have really searched everywhere over the past two days, including the help & FAQ here, for an answer before troubling you guys)

Thursday, January 1, 2009 7:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Unfortunately, we don't provide (authentication) support for Blogger and/or OfficeLive sites at thiis time. I will add that to the FAQs.

Sorry,

Brett

Friday, January 2, 2009 8:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Unfortunately, we don't provide (authentication) support for Blogger and/or OfficeLive sites at thiis time. I will add that to the FAQs.

Sorry,

Brett

Friday, January 2, 2009 8:55 PM
  • Thanks Bret, I really do appreciate your response. Two things if I may:

1. Does that mean that my Blogger powered site will not show up on Live search results?

2. It's a pet peeve of mine that vague error messages are not only frustrating but unnecessary - a simple "Blogger is currently unsupported"  message would have saved me many hours.

Regards,

John
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 5:55 AM
  • Hello Vegan, thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I am in South Africa where even capped bandwidth is an expensive luxury (and uncapped is unthinkable), not to mention uplink speeds that are better suited to dial-up, so hosting the site myself isn't practical.

As for Live not indexing "personal sites", I think they should have a more flexible approach. For example, if a site (hosted by Blogger and the like) wants to be indexed, then they should provide the facilities to enable that (e.g. must "authenticate" first). That would do the trick without opening any floodgates or inventing anything new.

If one can Google it, or find it on Yahoo, but it doesn't appear on Live .... then we all know where the traffic will go.

Thanks and regards,

John
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 6:57 AM