The key is incorrect. Verify that you have the correct key, and retype it." RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Matt,

I have purchased an Acer Aspire X1700 computer bundled with Mcafee Anti Virus and Office 2007 Trial. I also bought a media less license of Microsoft Office Small Business 2007. However the office trial version bundled with my computer is Home and Student Edition 2007. I have tried to download the trial version of Small Business 2007 and uninstall the Home and Student Edition before I installed the Small Business Edition. The problem is when I type the product key number, this message appears "The key is incorrect. Verify that you have the correct key, and retype it". I have tried seveal times but with same results. I also ask my vendor but they did not give me a clear answer. What will I do to solve this problem.

Thank you in advance.

• Split by Stephen Holm Monday, June 15, 2009 8:54 PM split posting
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 10:41 PM

Answers

• Hello IPCW,

Medialess licensing kits are intended to activate the type of Office trial that would be installed by systembuilders/small manufacturers.  This type of Office trial installs as the "Microsoft Office System 2007" and will activate one of three drifferent editions of Office (Basic, Small Biz, or Professional), depending upon which medialess licensing kit you purchase.  This type of trial installs an edition of Office that has a systembuilder/OEM/small manufacturer license.

Your Acer came with a specific trial edition of Office Home and Student 2007, which as you discovered will not activate using the Product Key that came with your medialess licensing kit for Office 2007 Small Biz.

You did the logical thing by uninstalling the Office Home and Student 2007 trial, then downloading and installing the trial of Office 2007 Small Biz from the Office Trials download page at microsoft.com.  However, the kind of license for that source of Office 2007 Small Biz is a retail license, and retail licenses for Office 2007 Small Biz cannot be activated by the Product Keys provided in the medialess licensing kits for Office 2007 Small Biz because the medialess licensing kit is for systembuilder/OEM/small manufacturer editions of Office 2007 Small Biz only.

The solution is to uninstall all previous installations of Office from your computer, restart, then install Office 2007 Small Biz using the correct installation files to match your medialess licensing kit.  You can visit this Microsoft site to download the files yourself, or to order the installation CDs for a nominal shipping/handling fee:  http://www.microsoft.com/office/backup/en-us/default.mspx

Good luck and let us know how you make out!  :-)
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, June 15, 2009 8:56 PM
    Friday, June 12, 2009 6:01 AM