whs as network printer problems RRS feed

• Question

• hello all, I was looking at posts and am looking for solutions to my hp 990c attatched to my whs. I had it working fine as a network printer for my win7 desktop and xp laptop till a few days ago. I swapped out my usb cable and reattatched it to the whs with the printer cable since i needed the usb port. Since then i cant get either computer to print off the printer. I have deleted the printer off the win7 computer and tried to reinstall it. It sees it via the network but when i try to load it the windows update says it can't find the drivers for it and it cancels install.

sean

oh yea i have also reattatched the usb cable between the whs and printer but still no luck.

Monday, November 8, 2010 5:42 PM

All replies

• Have you installed any drivers for that printer on the server? If not, do so; the driver you want is the Windows Server 2003 driver (if available) followed by the Windows XP driver. Then see if you can connect either client computer to the printer. Possibly you will need to manually install drivers on the Windows 7 computer; in that case follow the instructions for installing drivers in the printer's manual.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 8, 2010 6:36 PM
  • how will installing drivers on the server matter to the other computers on the network. fyi the printer works fine on the server... it sees it and can print on whs. the other network computers are the only ones having problems. Yes I did install some drivers.. i think the xp ones on the whs. 

I connected the printer to the win7 desktop and it loaded drivers fine and printed. is there a way to locate the drivers for that install and use them for the network install?

Monday, November 8, 2010 6:49 PM
  • Which version of Windows 7 do you have - 32 or 64 Bit?

Since clicking a shared printer on a server initiates installation of drivers from the server to the client, this fails for a 64 Bit client with the regular 32 Bit server (as WHS is) and also with Windows 7 incompatible drivers on the server. See KB2028992. Eventually you can also install the fitting drivers directly on the server desktop.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:19 PM