Hard drive failure notification and WHS logging RRS feed

• Question

• I have my WHS box turned off most of the time, and only access it from home -- so have the Lights Out service installed on my home PC to startup the WHS box when I startup my PC.

Recently, as my PC was starting, the WHS icon in the system tray on my home PC was red, and there was a notification balloon attached to it that indicated a hard drive had failed. I didn't get a chance to note down the exact wording of the message, so don't know exactly what it said or which drive it was referring to (there are three drives in the WHS box).

I immediately searched through the event log on the WHS box, but couldn't find anything about the failed drive. By this stage, the WHS icon was green, indicating a healthy network.

I have also searched through the event log on my local PC, in case the WHS connector software logged anything locally, but couldnt' find anything.

Showing the drive information from WHS, everything is reported as healthy.

So...

Are these notifications logged anywhere? On the WHS, or on the PC the notification is sent to?

Is there a way to determine easily if I do have a hard drive failing?

Any suggestions for what to try next?

Thanks!
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 1:25 PM

Answers

• I don't use Lights Out, but it may be that, when you previously placed your server in hibernation, it powered down a drive early in the process and WHS detected this as a failed drive. Or it could be that it took a few seconds for one of your drives to spin back up.

You can detect some hard drive problems by running chkdsk on all your drives.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 4:17 PM