Missing outlook menu and toolbar RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am missing CRM menu and tool bar in my outlook. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Outlook (2007), CRM client for outlook and update rollup 10. It is still not available. When I run the diagnostics it gives a warning "You recently used a different Outlook Profile than the one the Microsoft Dynamics CRM add-in has been configured for. The Microsoft Dynamics CRM add-in will be enabled only for the profile it was configured for." There are other profiles on this machine, but the CRM add-in was configured under my login. I am not sure why it says that. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Saritha

Friday, October 8, 2010 6:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You might find the following useful:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/crmdeployment/thread/ceb42cca-c21a-4d57-af1a-35af4e32f847

Rob

www.crmconsult.info Twitter:robertpeledie
    Friday, October 8, 2010 9:05 PM
  • In your post you noticed that the add-in will only be enabled for the profle it's installed under.

That's the big hint in all of this.

Outlook keeps information regarding the end user in the user profile.

On a XP SP2 desktop use my path as an example.

C:\Documents and Settings\cspanburgh\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

IN that folder you will find a dat file.

Some folks say to remove the entire folder.

That's kind of RAD for me.

Remove the extend.dat file and the Outlook.nst files.

Reboot

Try the install of the client again.

Let us know if your successfull.

/:>

Curtis J Spanburgh
    Friday, October 8, 2010 9:09 PM
  • Hi Rob,
    Thanks for your reply. I saw that post before I posted my question. I have removed other profiles from my computer and rebooted. Then configured the plugin logged in as myself. I saw the CRM toolbar once, but when I closed outlook and reopened, it was gone.

Thanks,
    Saritha

Friday, October 8, 2010 9:12 PM
  • Ok, since the tool bar is a web tool, check for policies that prevent them.

Something besides CRM is stopping this.   Start with simple things like adding the CRM site to your allowed popups.

Look at IE add ins that could negate code running .

I think you will find the issue there.

Curtis J Spanburgh
    Friday, October 8, 2010 9:28 PM
  • I was sooo hoping that one of your suggestions would work... but alas :( I am on Windows 7, I removed the outlook files you said and rebooted, reconfigured CRM plugin. I have disabled all addons in IE, I have added crm website to popup safelist. And still I am getting this error in eventlog:

The Microsoft CRM Outlook add-in was not initialized because Microsoft Outlook was started under a profile for which Microsoft CRM was not installed. Restart Microsoft Outlook under an appropriate profile, or install Microsoft CRM for the current profile. HR=0x0. Context=CStateEngine. Function=CInitializeState::Initialize. Line=72.

Any more suggestions are welcome. Thanks for your help.
    Saritha.

Saturday, October 9, 2010 1:12 AM
  • Ok, there must be a registry setting in the hive or a permission setting in the hive.

Most of our work has been with XP because some folks have not moved to Win7 like we did.

I take it the databases have been moved or removed?

Curtis J Spanburgh
    Saturday, October 9, 2010 3:32 AM
  • You're going to need to take a look at the log files to see if you can locate the error

Regards, Donna

Saturday, October 9, 2010 1:21 PM
  • Hi Curt, Thanks for your reply. I dont know what you mean by "databases have been moved or removed"? Could you please elaborate?

Thanks,

Monday, October 11, 2010 4:53 PM
  • Thanks for the pointer Donna. When I set the following registry settings, outlook started crashing...

TraceEnabled:1
    TraceDirectory:C:\CRMTrace
    TraceRefresh:25
    TraceCategories:*:Verbose (I also tried *:Error)
    TraceCallStack:1 (I also tried with 0)

I am on Windows 7.
    The trace files are created in the directory but they are 0kb and outlook wouldnt start.

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\MSCRM\Traces

Monday, October 11, 2010 4:59 PM
  • Sure.  You installed the client at first under a user account that had full rights to the machine.

An instance of SQL was installed on the local machine.

You uninstall using that same account.

Then you uninstall that SQL instance on that client machine.

Then you move the databases or remove them off the client machine.

Now there is no reference to the former "DBO" or Database Owner of the former Installation account.

So if  you reinstall now with another account that also has full rights to the client machine there should be no reference to the former account.

That being said I have seen a good deal of registry garbage left behind regarding the former connection to the CRM server.  In fact at one time I spent about a week searching for registry entries on a test client machine and scripted the removal of those entries so a client machine could connect to an upgraded CRM instance.

But for the most part you should not have those problems.  Those registry entries pointed to the CRM instance of a new server.

Curtis J Spanburgh
    Monday, October 11, 2010 5:00 PM
  • Rather than trying to change registry values, go to Programs, Microsoft Dynamics and run Diagsnostics.  Select the Support Mode and then you should be able to enable tracing.

To try and get this straightened out, can please manually uninstall the CRM Outlook Client completely, please follow the steps in this article carefully!

Once the Client is completely uninstalled, install the Destop Client only (not Offline).  Let's see if we can get that working.  If we get that working then let's try the Offline Client.

Regards, Donna

Monday, October 11, 2010 5:08 PM
  • Great Call , Donna.

Curtis J Spanburgh
    Monday, October 11, 2010 5:11 PM
  • Try this,

From the menubar select: Tools | Options... | Other |
    > Advanced options... | COM Add-ins...
    > Select "Microsoft CRM Outlook add-in" and click "remove"
    > Now add it in again:
    > Click "add"
    > Choose:
    > Program files\Microsoft CRM\client\bin\crmaddin.dll
    > Then "ok" your way back up to outlook and the menu should appear.

>Close and re-launch the outlook

Regards

Khaja Mohiddin
    Saturday, October 16, 2010 3:15 AM