application server RRS feed

• Question

• Can WHS be used as a basic application server?
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 1:19 PM

Answers

• The answer is no, actually. The EULA prohibits such use, and installing software/configuring your server for such use is completely unsupported.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 1:57 PM

All replies

• This has been answered... I think. The answer is yes?
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 1:28 PM
  • The answer is no, actually. The EULA prohibits such use, and installing software/configuring your server for such use is completely unsupported.
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 1:57 PM
  • From what I read, there is an application server function found in the control panel???
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 8:08 PM
  • You should be careful how you proceed.  Windows Home Server is only meant to be used for it's advertised features and maintained from the Windows Home Server Console.  You run the risk of making your server unusable and possibly unrecoverable. 

That said at the end of the day it's your server and up to you what you do with it but like Ken says using some features of Windows 2003 is against the Windows Home Server EULA.
    --
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 8:13 PM
  • I'm not sure what you're thinking of, but no.
    • Control Panel isn't available through any supported access method. Microsoft did this because there are tools you could access through Control Panel that can cause serious issues with your server.
    • The Windows Home Server console (the only supported administrative interface) doesn't expose any application server functionality.

Sunday, March 14, 2010 8:47 PM