none
Can't submit without error RRS feed

• Question

• Since about 7:30pm PDT, I can't submit a post without an error.  It behaves exactly like the login cookie bug I reported several times before.  Says "error when processing", post actually submits, edit pane doesn't drop down.  But now logging out and back in doesn't solve the problem.  I tried resetting every cookie that resembles one coming from microsoft.com, no luck.  I'm not the only one with this problem.

We need help.

Hans Passant.
    Friday, September 5, 2008 4:29 AM

Answers

•  The underlying issue should now be resolved via some configuration updates that were done. Also, an update was pushed earlier today that should an alerts failure occur on reply it will be logged but continue as a successful post (dismiss the editor).
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 3:44 AM

All replies

• Notable is that starting a new thread actually submitted without error.  This is what I saw afterwards:

The thread was created successfully but the alert subscription was not successful.

Hans Passant.
    Friday, September 5, 2008 4:30 AM
  • Hey!  A good error message, cool.
    Hans Passant.
    Friday, September 5, 2008 4:33 AM
  • Interesting, I wonder if this error issue that we've been seeing is actually with Live Alerts. I know we were discussing the symptoms in a meeting the other day, and we asked for the error logs to be looked at, but I haven't heard anything back.
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 2:46 AM
  • I just submitted an order at the Microsoft Company Store.  This is what I saw after I clicked the Post Order button:

Thank you for shopping at Microsoft Company Store's eCompanyStore!
    Please note your order tracking number below.
    You can check your order status using our Track Orders functionality.
    ERROR - Your order was placed successfully, however there was a problem loading your order information. Please proceed to the 'Track Orders' page to view your order status.

Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0115'

Unexpected error

/microsoft/MIC_OrderConfirmation.asp

A trappable error (C0000005) occurred in an external object. The script cannot continue running.

Now, that's error handling.

Hans Passant.
    • Edited by nobugz Monday, September 8, 2008 12:53 PM ....
    Monday, September 8, 2008 9:02 AM
  • >I just submitted an order at the Microsoft Company Store.  This is what I saw after I clicked the Post Order button: 

I was very tempted to delete this as way off-topic.

It is, but I decided to let the "real" Moderators decide.

(I've only got Moderator rights to help them get rid of the people asking (in new threads!) for help with their XXX (non forum) problem before they swamp this forum with their Vista/XP/programming/you name it/ problems.)
    Monday, September 8, 2008 2:53 PM
  • Hans, as you saw we do a decent job of trapping the alerts problem and displaying a decent error message on a new thread, but not on a reply. I've improved the error messaging some, but I don't know that I've particularly handled this case. I'll look into it.
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Monday, September 8, 2008 5:57 PM
  • Thanks Matt.
    Hans Passant.
    Monday, September 8, 2008 10:49 PM
  • I just experienced the same problem, "The thread was created successfully but the alert subscription was not successful."

What's up with that?
    Regards, Mike DePouw
    Monday, September 22, 2008 2:17 AM
  • It has been on the fritz all weekend.  What a pain!
    Hans Passant.
    Monday, September 22, 2008 8:19 AM
  • I'm still receiving the error message but it appears as though the alert is being added.
    Regards, Mike DePouw
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 12:57 AM
  •  The underlying issue should now be resolved via some configuration updates that were done. Also, an update was pushed earlier today that should an alerts failure occur on reply it will be logged but continue as a successful post (dismiss the editor).
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 3:44 AM