Remotely connecting to WHS server - How reliable and fast? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm just now starting to play around with an evaluation copy of WHS.  My current goal is to use this server for my home data as well as a my small office data.  My office is outside of my home.  My questions are:

How fast can I retrieve and use files?

What matters most for speed:  Obviously bandwidth (I use a cable modem service at home and my office).

But what about other factors;

The servers processor speed & ram?

The NIC?  Will a 1000mbit NIC in the server provide me with faster connection and file sharing?

I work with Autocad files which can be rather large.

As for reliability:  I like the back up features of connected machines.  What about the WHS server backing up itself, where all my files are stored?

Any info or comments regarding these topics would be appreciated.

Thanks

Friday, January 25, 2008 1:26 PM

Answers

•  TD MCN wrote:

I'm just now starting to play around with an evaluation copy of WHS.  My current goal is to use this server for my home data as well as a my small office data.  My office is outside of my home.  My questions are:

What matters most for speed:  Obviously bandwidth (I use a cable modem service at home and my office).

The NIC?  Will a 1000mbit NIC in the server provide me with faster connection and file sharing?

As for reliability:  I like the back up features of connected machines.  What about the WHS server backing up itself, where all my files are stored?

Thanks

If speed is the issue you should install the apps on WHS and use terminal server session (VPN connection) to do your work. otherwise you will always be hampered by bandwith and probably even more important upload speed. Even though 20Mbps ADSL or Cable connections are quite common nowadays upload is usually limited to 1.5 - 3 Mbps, resulting in effective upload speeds  100 - 200 Kb/s

Changing Gigabit is senseless unless you also have >100Mbps connection (up and down) between home and office. Also processor speed and RAM are not really important for file transfer speed, as long as your specs meet at least WHS recommended specs.

Currently there is no supported way for reliable off-site backup or the whole server. However data in shares and client backup data can be copied to external locations. To learn how and where your data and backups are stored please read the Technical briefs Drive Extender  and Home Computer Backup

Friday, January 25, 2008 2:03 PM

All replies

•  TD MCN wrote:

Thanks

If speed is the issue you should install the apps on WHS and use terminal server session (VPN connection) to do your work. otherwise you will always be hampered by bandwith and probably even more important upload speed. Even though 20Mbps ADSL or Cable connections are quite common nowadays upload is usually limited to 1.5 - 3 Mbps, resulting in effective upload speeds  100 - 200 Kb/s

Changing Gigabit is senseless unless you also have >100Mbps connection (up and down) between home and office. Also processor speed and RAM are not really important for file transfer speed, as long as your specs meet at least WHS recommended specs.

Currently there is no supported way for reliable off-site backup or the whole server. However data in shares and client backup data can be copied to external locations. To learn how and where your data and backups are stored please read the Technical briefs Drive Extender  and Home Computer Backup

Friday, January 25, 2008 2:03 PM
  • Thanks for this useful info.  Much appreciated.

Friday, January 25, 2008 2:51 PM