I have 600gig worth of .mp3 / .jpg / .mpg in my collection...how much storage should my whs have? RRS feed

• Question

• If i want to serve my media to x-box 360, desktop, or my laptop's. 

What drice configuration should i have to serve media, back up my media, and back up my 3 other local machines?

Originally, i was thinking of going with 2 - 750gig drives.  That would give me 1 server drive, and 1 back up drive correct?

How can I be certain my media will be there if a drive fails?

Monday, March 5, 2007 3:04 PM

Answers

• I run my WHS with the following:

250GB SATA II System Drive
    2 x 500GB SATA II
    2 x 250GB USB2

I run 3 workstations that all backup to WHS (around 100GB) and I share a few hundred GB of movies, tv, music, applications, etc.  They recommend that you install your biggest drive as the system drive, and it looks like you are on to that.  Working with only 2 drives will work fine when it comes to folder duplication, backups shared folders and the such.  Remember, both drives will be in the same storage pool, so data will be stored between both drives in that magical DriveExtender way.  You'll be ok, just make sure you have backups ... this is Beta software and you never if a mysterious bug will bite ya!

- Jim
    Monday, March 5, 2007 7:03 PM
  • The answer to your question involves one of the cooler pieces of technology in WHS: Drive Extender.

Drive Extender is the tech that manages all the drives in your storage pool, and determines where any given file will live. There are two things that will be key to making sure your media collection doesn't evaporate. First, use the share duplication feature of Drive Extender. This will put a second copy of your data on another physical disk from the first copy. It's like RAID1 (mirroring), but more granular. Instead of a duplicate disk, you have a second copy of a file on a different disk.

The other thing to keep in mind is that WHS is beta software. It seems stable, yes. But what if there's a subtle bug in DE that results in creeping data corruption over time? And Microsoft says today that there will be a migration path from the beta to the RTM product that will preserve your data. But I have no trouble imagining a scenario where they have to renege on that promise. So you really shouldn't put your only copy of irreplaceable data on WHS.
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 2:33 AM

All replies

• I run my WHS with the following:

250GB SATA II System Drive
    2 x 500GB SATA II
    2 x 250GB USB2

I run 3 workstations that all backup to WHS (around 100GB) and I share a few hundred GB of movies, tv, music, applications, etc.  They recommend that you install your biggest drive as the system drive, and it looks like you are on to that.  Working with only 2 drives will work fine when it comes to folder duplication, backups shared folders and the such.  Remember, both drives will be in the same storage pool, so data will be stored between both drives in that magical DriveExtender way.  You'll be ok, just make sure you have backups ... this is Beta software and you never if a mysterious bug will bite ya!

- Jim
    Monday, March 5, 2007 7:03 PM
  • The answer to your question involves one of the cooler pieces of technology in WHS: Drive Extender.

Drive Extender is the tech that manages all the drives in your storage pool, and determines where any given file will live. There are two things that will be key to making sure your media collection doesn't evaporate. First, use the share duplication feature of Drive Extender. This will put a second copy of your data on another physical disk from the first copy. It's like RAID1 (mirroring), but more granular. Instead of a duplicate disk, you have a second copy of a file on a different disk.

The other thing to keep in mind is that WHS is beta software. It seems stable, yes. But what if there's a subtle bug in DE that results in creeping data corruption over time? And Microsoft says today that there will be a migration path from the beta to the RTM product that will preserve your data. But I have no trouble imagining a scenario where they have to renege on that promise. So you really shouldn't put your only copy of irreplaceable data on WHS.
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 2:33 AM