OFX downloads RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning

I have recently opened a credit card account with my bank (NatWest - UK). The bank - God bless it - continues to provide ofx downloads which have been and continue to whiz down the line to my copy of MSMoney (UK). However, when I try to add the new cc account we are told 'there is a problem - contact your finance provider'. Now I am sure my bank will be in the dark on this one so tips on where and how I may investigate would be most welcome. It's not the end of my MSMoney world, obviously, but it is one of life's minor irritations!

Dr AS

Tuesday, February 18, 2020 9:59 AM

All replies

• If I am comprehending your question properly, now that Money is offline, you can only add your CC account manually.  Then when importing the first ofx file for that new account, you will be prompted to match it to the respective newly created account in Money, but from then on, ofx files from that account will be processed properly.
    • Edited by ameridan Tuesday, February 18, 2020 6:09 PM
    Tuesday, February 18, 2020 5:45 PM
  • now that Money is offline, you can only add your CC account manually.
    Not quite. I can export account files from my bank online and they zoom down the line. If Money is open, I get the message 'Import complete' and verify each entry to a match in my offline copy of Money, or as a fresh entry. If Money is not open it arrives as an ofx file and I can open it later. However, if I ask the internet Bank to add the cc account I get the error message as desribed above, whether I download the file as a multi-account package or on its own.

Dr AS

Tuesday, February 18, 2020 5:57 PM
  • now that Money is offline, you can only add your CC account manually.

Not quite. I can export account files from my bank online and they zoom down the line. If Money is open, I get the message 'Import complete' and verify each entry to a match in my offline copy of Money, or as a fresh entry. If Money is not open it arrives as an ofx file and I can open it later.

OK to that point those, those bank transactions are into an account.

"However, if I ask the internet Bank to add the cc account I get the error message as desribed above, whether I download the file as a multi-account package or on its own."

I think you now you do get an OFX, but Money does not like the content somehow. You might want to consider a way to post the problem OFX, but change the personal stuff -- normally just the account number-- to something that is the same length. Opening the OFX in Notpad, changing the account number to 1234567890123445, then copy from Notepad and paste into a post.

Here is one kind of complaint I found...

https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/problems/46126-ofx-format-from-natwest-has-changed-card-statement-credits-being-downloaded-as-negative-debits

Anyway, there is probably a way to massage/scrub the problem files.

I am more familiar with a bank credit card producing the OFX nicely, but the bank side of things not doing it so well.

Tuesday, February 18, 2020 7:22 PM
  • I think you now you do get an OFX, but Money does not like the content somehow. You might want to consider a way to post the problem OFX

Many thanks for the time and effort taken. I have opened both the functioning and non-functioning OFX files in Notepad and had a good look (there is an Atlantic storm in full swing outside so one is stuck indoors). I think I probably need to let a few more transactions go through but the follwoing line puzzled me greatly. In the functioning file the line <BALAMT>123.45</BALAMT> reflects, obviously, the balance. In the CC a/c, however, we get <BALAMT>12345678912300000000000000.00</BALAMT> which is bonkers. I shall let a few transactions go through abd see if this persists. I may return!

Dr AS

Thursday, February 20, 2020 10:47 AM
  • Good afternoon

This problem has sorted itself as the account processed a few transactions. The 'Balance' field in the OFX file now givews a sensible figure and downloads take place okay. Thank you all - one lives and learns

Dr AS

Wednesday, February 26, 2020 5:37 PM