Client Backup fails with 0x8007045D RRS feed

• Question

• I have a newly installed WHS with all the patches applied.  When I try to run a client backup from my Vista Ultimate machine, it fails with the following:

Backup of volume C: to WHS failed: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8007045D): The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007045D)

at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Common.Client.Win32.ThrowLastError()

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.VolumeBuffer.EndRead()

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.ClusterBitMapReader.Next()

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.DoClusterPass1()

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch()

The machine has a single Raid0 volume partitioned into C: and D:    If I config the backup to only backup the D: partition, it works fine.  It will not backup the C: partition.
    I have seen this issue reported by many and I have also run the CHKDSK /f and also tried clearing the check marks from the disks in SYSTEM PROTECTION as also recommended.
    Neither of those things has worked for me.

Any ideas?????  Thanks!

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 12:35 AM

Answers

• chkpostlive said:

The chkdsk ran with no errors found.  The only info in the Event logs is what I have posted above.  I just doubled checked to ensure there were no errors related to the controller or disks.

Is there any other trace info I can turn on to help diagnose?

One other thing to mention.  I have WindowsLiveOneCare installed on my system.  When I run a backup from there it runs fine.

thanks for the help.

There's additional tracing and logging that can be done but it's not something we can do here in the forums.  Can you file a bug on Connect? We will need to gather CABs and then continue to work from the bug.

If you are not already registered on Connect, please register and create a Connect ID otherwise, the links above will not work for you.

Thanks
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 4:34 PM

All replies

• chkpostlive said:

I have a newly installed WHS with all the patches applied.  When I try to run a client backup from my Vista Ultimate machine, it fails with the following:

Backup of volume C: to WHS failed: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8007045D): The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007045D)

at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Common.Client.Win32.ThrowLastError()

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.VolumeBuffer.EndRead()

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.ClusterBitMapReader.Next()

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.DoClusterPass1()

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch()

The machine has a single Raid0 volume partitioned into C: and D:    If I config the backup to only backup the D: partition, it works fine.  It will not backup the C: partition.
    I have seen this issue reported by many and I have also run the CHKDSK /f and also tried clearing the check marks from the disks in SYSTEM PROTECTION as also recommended.
    Neither of those things has worked for me.

Any ideas?????  Thanks!

What was the result of chkdsk /f and are there any entries in the system event log that point to problems with c:\  or with the controller?

Thanks
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 2:16 AM
  • The chkdsk ran with no errors found.  The only info in the Event logs is what I have posted above.  I just doubled checked to ensure there were no errors related to the controller or disks.

One other thing to mention.  I have WindowsLiveOneCare installed on my system.  When I run a backup from there it runs fine.

thanks for the help.
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 2:56 AM
  • chkpostlive said:

The chkdsk ran with no errors found.  The only info in the Event logs is what I have posted above.  I just doubled checked to ensure there were no errors related to the controller or disks.

thanks for the help.

There's additional tracing and logging that can be done but it's not something we can do here in the forums.  Can you file a bug on Connect? We will need to gather CABs and then continue to work from the bug.

If you are not already registered on Connect, please register and create a Connect ID otherwise, the links above will not work for you.

Thanks
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 4:34 PM
  • I have submitted a bug report via Connect and posted both the CAB numbers.
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 12:06 AM