WHS 2011 Dashboard connection is denied from one PC only because the administrator account name used by the Dashboard is incorrect RRS feed

• Question

• Starting a dashboard connection to WHS 2011 works from all clients with the exception of one. The connection is denied from this PC because the user account is not authorised for remote logon.

Checking the security event log on the client PC indicated that the dashboard is using my personal user account, and not the administrator account to attempt the remote login.

I have un-installed the WHS 2011 connector and re-installed it, but it continues to use the incorrect user account.

There is no option when connecting using the WHS 2011 Dashboard to change the user account, only the password.

Where is the user account information "stored" so that I can change it to administrator?

I cannot find it in the registry, nor in APPDATA, nor in Program Files.

Saturday, March 5, 2011 6:47 AM

Answers

• So that's where the user account information is held!

Many thanks Don.

There was an entry for the IP address of the WHS with my personal user account defined...... very strange. Deleting the entry has solved the problem.

Seems there doesn't need to be an entry in the Credential Manager, and any entry that is there overrides the default "Administrator" user account.

• Marked as answer by Darren E Watt Saturday, March 5, 2011 11:25 PM
    Saturday, March 5, 2011 11:21 PM

All replies

• Do the user account for the computer, and the administrator account for the server have the same name?  As far as I know, the password for the dashboard has nothing to do with client pc's at all.  The password you use should be the one for your server.  Or are you talking about the launchpad?  The launchpad can log different users into the server, but the dashboard is for admin purposes.
    D.W.
    Saturday, March 5, 2011 12:33 PM
  • Correct, the password for the Dashboard should have nothing to do with the client's PC at all. However instead of using "Administrator" as it does on all of the other PCs which can successfully initiate Dashboard remotely, this PC uses my personal UserId to attempt to initiate the Dashboard remote session.

My personal UserId for the PC is not that same as "Administrator" which is what should be used by the Dashboard.

The Password is not the issue. This can be specified at Login time on the Dashboard login screen. However, the Event Log always shows that it is not using "Administrator" for the Credentials for the login, which it should.

Checking the event log on all the other PCs, shows the Credentials used by the Dashboard to achieve remote Login are with an Account Name of "Administrator".

Saturday, March 5, 2011 1:00 PM
  • Thats very odd, I guess I would just report a bug.
    D.W.
    Saturday, March 5, 2011 2:08 PM
  • You might want to look at the Credentials on the Client and see what it has stored.

Start\Search\ type in Credentials and click on Credential Manager.

In earlier versions I had some issues that it stored a wrong userID for WHS in here. Can't remember why it did at this point but it was a place to check. You might also do this from a Client that is working correctly to see the information there.

--
    Don
    • Proposed as answer by dlwilliams12 Saturday, March 5, 2011 11:35 PM
    Saturday, March 5, 2011 3:51 PM
  • So that's where the user account information is held!

Many thanks Don.

There was an entry for the IP address of the WHS with my personal user account defined...... very strange. Deleting the entry has solved the problem.

Seems there doesn't need to be an entry in the Credential Manager, and any entry that is there overrides the default "Administrator" user account.

• Marked as answer by Darren E Watt Saturday, March 5, 2011 11:25 PM
    Saturday, March 5, 2011 11:21 PM