none
Reply / Submit doesn't update the thread (sometimes) RRS feed

• Question

• I just tried to reply to this thread.  Clicking the Submit button didn't work.   Sometimes nothing happened.  Once it partially worked:  the editor disappeared, the date-of-last-update was changed, but the reply I typed did not appear (even after refreshing the page, or re-navigating there from the forum home page).   I've now tried this half a dozen times, with the same lack of result.

I was able to reply to a different thread.  Again, the Submit button did nothing the first few times I clicked it, but eventually it worked and updated the thread correctly.
    Dev Lead, Windows Presentation Foundation, WinFX
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 5:57 PM

Answers

• Do you mean the 4 replies that started the second page of that thread?
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 1:21 AM

All replies

• Do you mean the 4 replies that started the second page of that thread?
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 1:21 AM
  • Hehe, it can be hard to see.  You might also have been bitten by a login cookie bug that I see from time to time.  I can't get a decent diagnostic because the failure is silent.  The typical pattern is that your cookie is close to expiring (within an hour or so) and Submit will fail to drop away the post editor.  You'll actually make the post but it is not visible from the top half of the screen.  One workaround I found is to open the forum site's main page from another tab, click the sign-out link and log back in.  Switch back and Submit will now work.  To give you multiple posts in the thread, one for each time you desparately banged the right pixel in the Submit button plus the last one.

This bug strikes quite frequently, I see duplicate posts in lots of threads.  Login cookies have been a constant source of frustration at MSDN forums.  My best guess at this particular one is that you get a bunch of login cookies, not just one, and they get out of sync.

Hans Passant.
    Friday, August 22, 2008 12:27 PM
  • Oh - second page.   My bad.

However, it was still true that clicking Submit did nothing much of the time.  I doubt it was because of a nearly-expired cookie, as I had just logged in about 30 minutes before.
    Dev Lead, Windows Presentation Foundation, WinFX
    Friday, August 22, 2008 3:44 PM
  • We'll be working on user feedback and larger click target areas... thanks.
    Friday, August 22, 2008 6:13 PM