Cannot Restore C: Drive from WHS restore CD with Realtek 8168 onboard NIC RRS feed

• Question

• Ok. You'd think this would be easy....

Yes, I've gone through the forums about this problem.

The basic answer has been to go to the Realtek website, download the latest Vista drivers for the 8168, place them on a USB stick, start the computer with the WHS restore cd (I'm using the PP1 dual boot restore cd - I'm still running PP1 on a HP MSS), when it gets to the screen showing the drivers, click on install drivers and tell it to scan the USB stick.

That's where the problem occurs. I get a message saying something about 'No drivers found for your hardware.'

WHS correctly shows RTL8168/8111 Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0) in the drivers screen. And the updated Vista driver (v. 6.226) for that NIC is what I've copied to the USB stick, but it doesn't find the driver.... OK, Try again.

So I try using the latest XP drivers for the Realtek 8186 on the USB, repeat. Same problem.

So I'm stuck. I really need to restore the C: partition from the latest backup, as it contains hours and hours of updates from Office Update. Sigh. I've already spent 4 hours.

Any help will be appreciated....

P.S. The drive in question is a SATA. I have no way of connecting it to another WHS client PC to restore to it.  sigh. Too bad it just can't be plugged into the eSATA port on the HP MSS to restore. No, that would be too convenient.

Thanks.
    • Edited by Shangwe Thursday, August 27, 2009 6:13 AM
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 6:04 AM

Answers

• Solution Found!

The Bare Metals Restore link above said to use the XP drivers.

Those didn't work for me. I  thought I had downloaded the Vista (WinServer2008) drivers and tried them. I had downloaded the XP by mistake, thinking they were the Vista drivers. Oops!

So now that I have the Vista drivers all is well. Whew!

Thanks so much for the kind help to everyone. Special mention to Ken for posting various alternatives/links

Now is there a way I can run the Restore CD without having to use a USB stick each time?
    • Edited by Shangwe Thursday, August 27, 2009 10:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, August 28, 2009 2:40 AM
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 10:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    did you already read and and try to follow the FAQ How to update Realtek NIC drivers during Bare Metal Restore?

If that does not work as well, there are adapter cables available to attach an SATA drive via USB and follow the guideline in this FAQ. (This could be also a borrowed laptop, on which you temporary install the connector software.)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 7:54 AM
  • I followed the FAQ you mentioned exactly.

It didn't work.

Thursday, August 27, 2009 7:15 PM
  • If you've tried that FAQ and it didn't work, then you may not have the model of Realtek NIC you think. Your options at this point are probably to either get yourself an inexpensive NIC (I like Intel based NICs, but there are other good ones) and abandon the use of the cheap Realtek nic on your motherboard, or get yourself a SATA to USB bridge device (here are several on NewEgg) and hook the drive up to another computer on your network that way.

Unfortunately, Microsoft can't make every driver work. I can think of several ways for a hardware manufacturer to build drivers that will load and work in Windows, but that the Restore CD absolutely would not be able to handle.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 7:53 PM
  • I also have seen boards, which had sit a Realtek chip on it, but needed NVidia drivers for the network interface to work.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 8:47 PM
  • Have you tried using XP Pro drivers, instead of Vista drivers?  It solved my problem.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 9:28 PM
  • Solution Found!

The Bare Metals Restore link above said to use the XP drivers.

Those didn't work for me. I  thought I had downloaded the Vista (WinServer2008) drivers and tried them. I had downloaded the XP by mistake, thinking they were the Vista drivers. Oops!

So now that I have the Vista drivers all is well. Whew!

Thanks so much for the kind help to everyone. Special mention to Ken for posting various alternatives/links

Now is there a way I can run the Restore CD without having to use a USB stick each time?
    • Edited by Shangwe Thursday, August 27, 2009 10:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, August 28, 2009 2:40 AM
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 10:19 PM
  • Now is there a way I can run the Restore CD without having to use a USB stick each time?

For this particular computer, no. The drivers you need are not included in the Restore CD, and the method Microsoft has chosen to get around that is to allow you to load them during the restore process.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, August 28, 2009 6:56 PM
  • Ken,

Thanks for taking the time to post an answer to my second question!  Take care.

Friday, August 28, 2009 9:10 PM
  • I realize this is an old (but still valid) thread.  One key thing to keep in mind is that I believe the PC Restore process is a 32bit process. If you're restoring a 64bit image, the drivers stored on the backup are 64bit drivers.  They will not work with the 32bit PC Restore program, which is why you need to go get 32bit RealTek drivers.

Pay attention to the Network lights on the back of the computer during this.  If you see them go dark, the drivers that got loaded may be the 64bit ones.  That's what I noticed on 4 different PCs I've done bare metal restore on from my Server.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 11:42 PM