help with xp pro x64 and western digital herd drive failure RRS feed

• Question

• hi, i hope somone out there can help me as i am now at a loss as to what to do ?
    three months ago i built my second desktop pc as my first was geting a little long in the tooth. for the first near three months it ran fine, no problems and really fast, then suddenly one day when i turned on i was confronted with a boot failure message asking me to insert system disc.
    i tried re-booting to see if i could re-start from last known good config but had no luck. no matter what i tried i couldnt get past this error without re-formating the drive which is what i ended up havin to do.
    during the format process the drive shows up as being un partitioned(raw) in the nfts file system which i found strange.
    i have been through this process of re-formating around 6 times now, the machine runs fine for a few days or only a few hours on one occasion. i suspected that the new 1tb western digital (WD10EAVS) was giving up so tried to run one of their diagnostic tools which said that the drive was fine? i later noticed that they say that their diagnostics tool is'nt compatible with 64 bit operating systems which is what i am running (windows xp pro x64), so i am still unsure.
    i have had all the updated drivers for all hardware and have not added any new software that didn't run fine for three months.
    my system details are as follows(all items are brand new)
    gigabyte m750sli-ds4 motherboard
    850w powersupply
    4gb kingston ddrII 800mhz RAM
    amd phenom 9950 black edition processor (unclocked)
    nvidia geforce 9500gt super +1gb
    pioneer dvd multi rw
    lg ggw-h20l blue ray rw
    hard disc western digital WD10EAVS GREEN 1tb
    o/s windows xp professional x64 oem
    i would be greatfull if anyone could give me a firm idea as to where the problem lies,many thanks in advance, Geoff.
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 8:18 PM

Answers

• This is the windows Home Server forum. For problems with Windows XP, you would be better off asking in the Windows XP newsgroups.

That said, it sounds to me like you have a problem with either the hard drive, or the hard drive controller in your PC, or possibly the ahrd drive cable.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 8:36 PM