Accessing my WHS from internet RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I just set up a server with Windows Home Server. Everything works well when I'm at home, on the same network. I have problems when I go outside or my network. I can access my server with Remote Desktop and with HTTPS, but Launchpad on my PC tells me that my server is offline, and I cannot access shared folders. It's obviously not the case, since I can connect on the server with Remote Desktop, so there is something wrong with my WHS configuration or router.

Is it because my ISP is blocking port 80? Actually, my router forward port 443 for HTTPS and 3389 for Remote Desktop. Do I need to add something else?

I tried to find more information on my problem on this forum or on search engines, but without success. Any idea on what my problem is?

Fred

Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I just set up a server with Windows Home Server. Everything works well when I'm at home, on the same network. I have problems when I go outside or my network. I can access my server with Remote Desktop and with HTTPS, but Launchpad on my PC tells me that my server is offline, and I cannot access shared folders. It's obviously not the case, since I can connect on the server with Remote Desktop, so there is something wrong with my WHS configuration or router.

Is it because my ISP is blocking port 80? Actually, my router forward port 443 for HTTPS and 3389 for Remote Desktop. Do I need to add something else?

I tried to find more information on my problem on this forum or on search engines, but without success. Any idea on what my problem is?

(emphasis added)

Everything is functioning as designed. File shares are a LAN feature, as is the launchpad. If you can access the Remote Access web site (as you say you can), you can get to your shares that way.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:54 PM

All replies

• You don't say which version of WHS you are using but the following ports are required:

WHS1: Ports 80, 443 & 4125

WHS2011 : Port 443 (essential - allowing https:// access) and optionally Port 80 for http:// access

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:41 PM
  • Hi,

(emphasis added)

Everything is functioning as designed. File shares are a LAN feature, as is the launchpad. If you can access the Remote Access web site (as you say you can), you can get to your shares that way.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:54 PM
  • Sorry, it's Windows Home Server 2011. I already have the port 443 forwarded and open on the router. I can access the server from outside on a browser with HTTPS. Any other suggestion for my problem?

Thanks for your help

Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:55 PM