CRM crashing within Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We run CRM 2011 Online with a team of 4 sales people and 4 production people. Everyone has Outlook and CRM add-in running. The 4 sales people are experiencing 10-15 crashes per day for CRM/Outlook. But the others have no problems at all, although they don't use it nearly so much as the sales people.

They all run XP Pro on different machines that all are above the rec specs. Outlook is run from an Exchange server.

Even if just left to idle with Outlook open a sales machine will eventually crash.

We have tried...

• Close all non-required applications and processes
    • Increase pagefile sizes
    • Clearing out all temp files
    • Installing latest rollups

Attached is an example of the error message we get.

My best guess from talk across various blogs is that this might be the result of CRM and/or Outlook starting too many things they won't finish, but I could really do with some advice on the steps to take next.

I would have thought that CRM was designed to meet more complex needs than those of my company which is pretty simple.

Cheers

Ben

Thursday, November 3, 2011 9:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Ben,

I would recommend you to run the outlook client diagnostics wizard and see if something needs attention and fix!

Also, try disabling another outlook addins installed (if any) from your user's machine and see if that could be of help.

At last , you could do a complete un-install and re-install of the CRM outlook client.

Do keep us posted!

Cheers, Francis Edwin

My Blog: http://astutecrm.wordpress.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/astutecrm 

• Edited by Edwin2win Thursday, November 3, 2011 10:34 AM
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 10:34 AM
  • Thanks Francis. I will try these today.
    Friday, November 4, 2011 1:06 AM
  • I have now done the following...

• Checked the machines have above minimum specifications (you never know!)
    • Run diagnostics - it said there was a problem which has now been fixed, but that has made no impact on the problem
    • Disabled all add-ins except CRM
    • Stopped all start-up programmes except the bare minimum on the system

I will try to do a complete uninstall and re-install of the CRM Outlook client on Monday. We are still getting a huge variety of different messages with the crashes, but they are mainly about system resources running out, lack of memory, etc etc.

If there are any bright ideas before Monday, I'd love to here them!

Friday, November 4, 2011 8:19 AM
  • We're having similar problems.    Were you able to stabilize ?
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 6:16 AM
  • Well the problem was resolved temporarily by re-installing the CRM Outlook client. 2 weeks later the problems are coming back. It appears as though there is a massive build up of memory usage which seems to be toppling Outlook after some use. Over 1gig being swallowed up by outlook.exe!

I am going to run through all of my processes from start to finish to make sure it is nothing associated with that, but we are running seriously short of any ideas.

• Edited by WakingDragon Wednesday, November 16, 2011 10:03 AM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 9:53 AM
  • Make sure your (affected) system requirements comply with the CRM 2011 outlook client requirements.... some of them are,

• Win XP PRO - SP3
    • At least Internet Explorer 7 and above - IE 6 will not help
    • Microsoft office 2003 - SP3 and above.

For complete CRM 2011 online readiness, please go through this Dynamics CRM Online checklist

Hope this can shed some light on your issue

Cheers, Francis Edwin

My Blog: http://astutecrm.wordpress.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/astutecrm 

• Edited by Edwin2win Wednesday, November 16, 2011 10:42 AM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 10:41 AM
  • Thanks Francis. I've haven't seen that document before but it looks like a good practical set of things to try out. Sys reqs are all met and above recommended levels.

It's quite an annoying problem as it appears to go away once the outlook connector is re-installed. I had a week of seeming to be the conquering hero!

Will report back if/when I next get some progress!

Thursday, November 17, 2011 1:42 AM
  • So it actually seems to have been a combination of things.

Firstly, CRM Online is a bit wobbly. If you leave it running you can see both IE and Outlook gobbling up memory.

I would recommend the setup steps suggested above as these definitely reduced the problem.

Another big issue seems to have been how I had set up CRM entities, making them very memory hungry somehow. This is a little bit more gut feel than evidenced but certainly worth streamlining your forms to make sure they are not doing any more work than they need to.

Re-installing CRM for Outlook on a couple of machines fixed various other bugs and problems they had.

Oh.. and one person in the office hadn't realised they had switched on every RSS feed from MSN and over 6 months of these were syncing with exchange and being tracked in CRM every 15 mins.

Thanks for the help and advice everyone.

Friday, November 25, 2011 8:02 AM
  • We had some of the same issues.  I wanted to post my finding to assist anyone that I could, but also propose my other findings that will hopefully eventually end in a resolution. 

Our Windows XP SP3 Office 2010 SP1 Client with CRM 2011 RU6 x86t had the same issue around 750MB to 1024MB out of storage erros and sometimes Outlook just crashing.  Reloaded systems with Windows 7 32bit, Office 2010 32bit SP1, CRM 2011RU6 Client x86 and it went to 2.5 gigs and didn't have an issue, didn't go further on it.  I would open a ton of accounts to cause the memory to jump without closing them. 

Issue still remains on Windows 7 x64 systems with Office 2010 32-bit SP1, and CRM2011RU6 x86 version.  It will get to 750MB-1024MB and shutdown Outlook.  Turning off hyper-threading in the bios seemed to make it more stable at the 1024MB limit and so bought a few hundred more mb's before the users crash.  I did install Office x64 and CRM x64 client RU6 and it didn't cause a crash even up to 1.3GB on Outlook.exe process, but the response betwen items in Outlook for CRM was terrible.  If I click on an opportunity it took 30-60 seconds before it would select the next I clicks on.  This isn't double-clicking to open just single clicking on an item.  I did this in accounts and contacts as well and the same.  Everything in Outlook was super responsive and quick, but not CRM.  It was so bad there is no way that I could leave the user on it.  I have a ticket with Microsoft open and have been working on this for weeks with no resolution. 

Caleb Pennington

Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:30 AM
  • logon Microsoft CRM 2011,  settings, queues ,  click view and select inactive queues,  highlight all inactive Queues and now  click more actions, Activate

Try opening outlook CRM Add-on and all will work.

Zeaba Solutions Full IT Support

PJ Moka

Monday, July 30, 2012 4:04 PM