Just failed 70-290 - what now?.... :S RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

So - i've just failed my 70-290 exam. I got 670 and the pass mark is 700.
    And with all MS exams i dont really know what i got wrong and what i got right. I only have the printout that tells you what of the 5 sections you are strong and weak in.

Prior to the exam i used various practice exam tests which i downloaded, but i mainly used the CBT nuggets videos as i am not currently administrating any Windows 2003 servers.

I have a fear already inside me of going back to the exam center, ideally i'd love to be confident and get 85% or whatever pass rates.
    So what now? How should i study? More of the same? Or a new approach? Wait or take it again asap?

Even though its been like 3 hours since i failed - i really feel lost....

Any help - advice welcome. Well - as long as its not 'try your best' type generic rubbish! ;)
    Andy
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 5:14 PM

Answers

• First of all ,
    From your words ,We could not get to know which books you used .or you did not use any books to study .Just use practice exam tests and CBT nuggets videos for your preparation.
    In my opinion ,the ms press books are best materials for our preparation.
    When I prepared My 70-290 exam ,i did not use cbt nuggests videos .I just made a good study plan and used MS press books and some practice tests from measureup.com and get some information or advice from those experiencing this exam .All of these have promised me a good score.This is my experience for reference .
    The following posts may be useful for u.

Davis’ experience on MCSA 70-290

7 tips on the Study guide for 70-290

hope it useful for u.

• Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Saturday, January 9, 2010 3:32 AM
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 1:22 AM
  • The CBT Nuggets videos are good, but I'd strongly recommend using a book to study with also.  The MS Press books are good, but I'm finding that the Sybex books are more readable (i.e. easier to follow/understand, less errors).  The chapters are set up to essentially follow what you're tested on.  First, take a look at the print-out you got, and focus on studying those chapters you were weak in.  Read and re-read.  Then circle back and read the rest of the chapters.

The method of study I use (currently working on 70-640 - Server 2008 AD) is to watch the corresponding CBT Nuggets videos, then read the chapter and do the practice tests.  Kinda like a college course.  You listen to the lectures and then read the chapters to reinforce, and augment the lecture.
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Saturday, January 9, 2010 3:33 AM
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 4:57 PM
    Answerer
  • Firstly guys - thanks for all of your responces. :) To clarify i didnt use any books, simply CBT nuggets videos and practice tests. I've tried TestOut - which i am going through now, yes there is some good stuff on there - but the guy on the video is as charasmatic as burnt toast.

Is Sybex a brand i presume?

I've got a server now at home which i am playing around with - setting up RAID + AD + WSUS etc and starting to learn, which i guess will help me generally with IT rather than with this exam specifically. But obviously i am going to tailor a few things to 70-290.

I'm getting the impression you guys are all paying for your materials/videos too?... Or do we have to watch what we say as its an MS forum? ;)

Lastly some background on me - i've been working in IT for about 10 years Service Desk > Desktop support > Infrastructure. Right now i'm back in desktop support (contracting, recession etc etc) and obviously have a tough time playing with Win2k3 at work (esp as on some of the domains here they have User Manager - I know!). But i am trying to watch CBT nuggets at work and do test exams at work.

As i got 67% i like to think i am fairly clued up - at least as far as this exam goes. But obviously i would like to pass with flying colours....
    • Proposed as answer by bbenjt Monday, December 14, 2009 10:04 AM
    Friday, December 11, 2009 11:11 AM

All replies

• First of all ,
    From your words ,We could not get to know which books you used .or you did not use any books to study .Just use practice exam tests and CBT nuggets videos for your preparation.
    In my opinion ,the ms press books are best materials for our preparation.
    When I prepared My 70-290 exam ,i did not use cbt nuggests videos .I just made a good study plan and used MS press books and some practice tests from measureup.com and get some information or advice from those experiencing this exam .All of these have promised me a good score.This is my experience for reference .
    The following posts may be useful for u.

Davis’ experience on MCSA 70-290

7 tips on the Study guide for 70-290

hope it useful for u.

Thursday, December 3, 2009 1:22 AM
  • The CBT Nuggets videos are good, but I'd strongly recommend using a book to study with also.  The MS Press books are good, but I'm finding that the Sybex books are more readable (i.e. easier to follow/understand, less errors).  The chapters are set up to essentially follow what you're tested on.  First, take a look at the print-out you got, and focus on studying those chapters you were weak in.  Read and re-read.  Then circle back and read the rest of the chapters.

The method of study I use (currently working on 70-640 - Server 2008 AD) is to watch the corresponding CBT Nuggets videos, then read the chapter and do the practice tests.  Kinda like a college course.  You listen to the lectures and then read the chapters to reinforce, and augment the lecture.
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Saturday, January 9, 2010 3:33 AM
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 4:57 PM
    Answerer
  • This isn't a huge surprise, CBT nuggets just don't go into enough depth. I find them better for review. I think you need some hands on experience. At a min you need to get some more in-depth training. I'm not one for books and such myself simply because my job and family don't allow me the luxury of hours to myself to read. I prefer Preplogic videos or Testout simulations. I find both more in depth than CBT nuggets. More expensive and more time consuming but more detail and instruction.

What did you use for a practice exam?

Jim Guy
    MCP, MCITP EA, CCNA, CEH

Systems Administrator
    Kirkland, Washington
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 7:30 PM
  • Andy, how much hands-on or lab experience do you have? The 70-290 is probably the first step along the way to MCSA where it's apparent that a lot of reading / review is needed AND a good chunk of experience. It's a tough one!
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 11:37 PM
  • Firstly guys - thanks for all of your responces. :) To clarify i didnt use any books, simply CBT nuggets videos and practice tests. I've tried TestOut - which i am going through now, yes there is some good stuff on there - but the guy on the video is as charasmatic as burnt toast.

Is Sybex a brand i presume?

I've got a server now at home which i am playing around with - setting up RAID + AD + WSUS etc and starting to learn, which i guess will help me generally with IT rather than with this exam specifically. But obviously i am going to tailor a few things to 70-290.

I'm getting the impression you guys are all paying for your materials/videos too?... Or do we have to watch what we say as its an MS forum? ;)

Lastly some background on me - i've been working in IT for about 10 years Service Desk > Desktop support > Infrastructure. Right now i'm back in desktop support (contracting, recession etc etc) and obviously have a tough time playing with Win2k3 at work (esp as on some of the domains here they have User Manager - I know!). But i am trying to watch CBT nuggets at work and do test exams at work.

As i got 67% i like to think i am fairly clued up - at least as far as this exam goes. But obviously i would like to pass with flying colours....
    • Proposed as answer by bbenjt Monday, December 14, 2009 10:04 AM
    Friday, December 11, 2009 11:11 AM
  • Think of it as the CBT Nuggets (or TestOut) videos as a class lecture, but...you still have to read each chapter of the book to get a full understanding of what you need to know.  Same as high school or college.  Ya need to study.

Sybex is a book publisher.  Some here prefer MS Press, others, like me, prefer Sybex.  I'm finding that Sybex books tend to be a little more readable and understandable vs. MS Press.

As to paying for materials - for the most part.  Some employers do pick up the tab, but most of us wind up footing the bill.  As to watching what we say here - absolutely.  There are some less than scrupulous ways to obtain certain study materials, but that's not encouraged or promoted here. 

I'd really recommend picking up either the Sybex or MS Press book, and read through it after watching the appropriate videos.  Each book comes with a separate CD with practice tests on it.
    Friday, December 11, 2009 2:24 PM
    Answerer

• One issue you need to be aware of is one I've recently run into myself. I'm using the MS Press 70-290 exam book, and the problem is that it's old enough that some of the technologies in the book have been updated several times- ie the book covers SUS. The test covers WSUS and maybe more (I'm having a REAL problem getting a straight answer from MS.)..  This is kind of a problem that  is difficult to deal with- so be aware.
    good luck
    Alan
    MCP
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 5:24 AM