unable to transfer large files. RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a problem with my whs. Whenever I try to transfer large files to the server I get: There is a problem accessing \\Whs\\.....  Make sure you are connected and try again.

I have tried the following things to try and narrow down the problem:

I bypassed my switch and connected directly to the router - no change 

I tried a different ethernet cable - no change

I tried to copy the same file from the server to clients wired and wireless - I was successful

I switched nic - no change

I was able to transfer the same size file when I rared it up. I transferred from the client to whs - no problem - whs/network doesnt like the large files only

I tried copying files to local whs drive and external usb drive on whs - same problem

I tried to transfer from a wired client and a wireless client to whs - same problem.

i tried to update nic drivers  - no change

I also assigned static ip - no change

fyi - I have tried two different intel nic cards.

1000 GT desktop adapter and 1000 MT network connection

Dell Dimension 5150/E510

WHS SP 2

I really have no idea at this point.

Hopefully someone out there can help me. I tried to troubleshoot as much as I know how.

Thanks in advance

• Edited by jc322 Wednesday, January 27, 2010 4:04 AM additional trouble shooting
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 9:59 PM

Answers

• Try to get the most current network adapter drivers for your client and the server.
    Better those from the makers of the network chips (i.e., Intel, Broadcom) than from the makers of the computer.
    Which client OS are you using? I have seen similar behaviors copying with a Beta of Win 7 to the server - I felt the client did "overfeed" the server instead of waiting.
    Can you copy such large files if you login to the WHS desktop and copy one from a local source on the server or from a shared folder on the client to a folder using the shortcut Shared Folders on Server?
    Do you have more client PCs from which you can try?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 9:49 PM

All replies

• It's a longshot but how about upgrading to PowerPack 3.  Also are your PC and Windows Home Server in the same workgroup?

--
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 4:13 PM
  • Try to get the most current network adapter drivers for your client and the server.
    Better those from the makers of the network chips (i.e., Intel, Broadcom) than from the makers of the computer.
    Which client OS are you using? I have seen similar behaviors copying with a Beta of Win 7 to the server - I felt the client did "overfeed" the server instead of waiting.
    Can you copy such large files if you login to the WHS desktop and copy one from a local source on the server or from a shared folder on the client to a folder using the shortcut Shared Folders on Server?
    Do you have more client PCs from which you can try?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 9:49 PM