Microsoft Money using excessive amounts of memory? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using Microsoft Money for 3 years and it has been wonderful but when I looked at which programmes are the biggest it shows that Microsoft Money is using 100GB NOT 35 MB which is what it should be using. Why is it using so much memory?
    Saturday, December 27, 2014 6:12 PM

All replies

• What is the utility that are you using that shows 100Gb of memory used?  Does you system even have 100Gb of memory?

If you open the task manager and look at the memory used by msmoney.exe *32, what do you see?

Or are you maybe asking about the size of the folder that contains your Money files?  If you have many backups, that folder could grow very large.

Bill Becker

Sunday, December 28, 2014 5:04 PM
  • Hi Bill thanks for replying so soon - I have gone into Control Panel, clicked on Uninstall Programmes and viewed the list of programmes on my laptop. The Money programme says it is 100GB in the "size" column. The next largest file is my graphics card which is 37.1GB which I have compared with my brother's similar laptop and is the same size.

I have just looked at the task manager list and Money isn't listed under Processes. It was listed as running so I have just Ended that.

My laptop has 164GB which (I'm assuming) is why it is running so slowly and crashing all the time - because the money programme is using so much memory.

Monday, December 29, 2014 12:01 AM
  • I have no clue why Money shows 100 Gb size in the Control Panel's Programs and Features.  My system shows the same thing and it's clearly incorrect.  The entire Microsoft Money Plus folder in Program Files is only 91Mb.  So that is a very small part of your 160 Gb (160,000 Mb) hard drive.  You can see the free space on your hard drive by right-clicking on the C: drive and selecting properties.  It it's almost full that could be a factor.

However, I think that your systems crashes and slow response are likely due to something else.   Has this just started recently?  Did you install any new programs?

Bill Becker

Monday, December 29, 2014 2:49 AM