Lost My windows 7 home premium RRS feed

• Question

• I own a sony vaio laptop with windows 7 home premium OS
    I face the problem of "bootmgr missing" and to solve it i installed ubunu...i dont have windows 7 cd/dvd but i have the product key on the back of the laptop

Due to a mess up by me,my windows 7 is replaced by ubuntu and now on my hard disk there are windows vista(loader) and windows7(loader)

I cant get into to windows 7.

I want to download windows 7 home premium again and insall it.do i face any problem while installing?i have my product key,will it work as im re-installing?
    wat should i do now?i dont have nyhing except product key.I want my windows 7

please help me out
    Monday, March 15, 2010 8:02 AM

Answers

• Boot into the recovery enviroment and, repair and then startup repair. If windows is still installed on the drive starup repair should, well... repair startup.
    Get there by pressing f8 durring boot or booting from a windows 7 DVD.
    • Proposed as answer by Carl Stephens Monday, March 15, 2010 2:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, March 16, 2010 8:40 PM
    Monday, March 15, 2010 2:06 PM
  • Hello karhik,

IMO your best option is to contact Sony support for your country/region and request to purchase a set of recovery discs for your computer.

Using the discs will have the advantage of installing absolutely positively genuine Windows and will install all original drivers and programs, too.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, March 15, 2010 2:51 PM

All replies

• Boot into the recovery enviroment and, repair and then startup repair. If windows is still installed on the drive starup repair should, well... repair startup.
    Get there by pressing f8 durring boot or booting from a windows 7 DVD.
    • Proposed as answer by Carl Stephens Monday, March 15, 2010 2:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, March 16, 2010 8:40 PM
    Monday, March 15, 2010 2:06 PM
  • Hello karhik,

IMO your best option is to contact Sony support for your country/region and request to purchase a set of recovery discs for your computer.

Using the discs will have the advantage of installing absolutely positively genuine Windows and will install all original drivers and programs, too.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, March 15, 2010 2:51 PM
  • can i download it from net/borrow from a friend?do windows will accept it as genuine as i have a genuine product key?
    I bought this laptop in USA and im staying in INDIA and sony support care is very distant to me?

So,Better give me another option...

Thank you
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 9:12 AM
  • You are not supposed to download an ISO of windows from the net unless it is an authorized reseller. Many of the ones you may find will contain malware.

If a friend will let you, on thier computer go to start, all programs, maintenance, create a system repair disk. I have not used this method but it should containt the same recovery enviroment and tools available on the installation DVD. Then perform a startup repair.
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 1:13 PM