Suggestion - Option to stop internal pingbacks by shortening to relative urls RRS feed

• General discussion

• Using WLW with a wordpress.com blog, when I link to one of my previous posts, I don't like having the automatic internal pingback from myself.

As we can't use plugins on wordpress.com, I get around this by using relative urls.

I was thinking that it might be possible to have WLW recognise when a link is internal and automatically make the link relative. This of course would be an option rather than default behaviour! 

Cheers,

interfacematters.wordpress.com :p
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 1:42 AM

All replies

• Hi, relative links might not work when read from an RSS reader--the RSS spec doesn't give a official way to specify the base URL relative links should be resolved from, and I don't imagine WordPress will do the expansion for you.

Sorry...
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 7:00 PM
  • Ah...Interesting.

I wouldn't have considered that.

So for anyone syndicating it would be a bad call alright.

I spent a few hours today writing a plugin which is basically an alternative to Insert -> Hyperlink. It creates a relative url from an absolute one. Couldn't get the dratted ImagePath referencing properly though!

Thanks for the info!
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:56 PM
  • Extensibility is great.

I wrote a small WLW plugin to do what I wanted - codeplex page

blah blah page

90% of the code was already written by Scott...I just adapted his Bold Hyperlinks plugin.

Just thought I'd publicise this in case there are any cheapos like me who don't want to pay for hosting and aren't worried about the RSS issue :p

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 12:17 AM
  • LOL... cool. Hey, that's why we have an API!
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 4:21 AM