Installed Office and access 2010 on the wrong licenced device.... RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I think I make a big mistake, and installed my new Office and Access 2010, on my portable first. My installations on both my Desktop and Portable are saying “Product Activated”, but both are failing the “Validate Office” test on the Genuine Microsoft Software site. I would like to change that and put my Desktop as the “licensed Device”  I fear I won’t be able to do that before 90 days.. “19. REASSIGN TO ANOTHER DEVICE. You may reassign the license to a different device any number of times, but not more than one time every 90 days. If you reassign, that other device becomes the “licensed device.” If you retire the licensed device due to hardware failure, you may reassign the license sooner.”

Both of my licenses are FPP as Retail License Terms, so I should be in right to have them installed on Both my Desktop and Portable at the same time. “2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. : c. Portable Device. You may install another copy of the software on a portable device for use by the single primary user of the licensed device.”

So is there a way to fix my problem now, or I need to wait 90 days before I can reassign my license to my Desktop ?

Monday, December 13, 2010 8:25 PM

Answers

• "RiverHunter" wrote in message news:cc3305c9-99a4-4e16-81a9-1a17db7af7e2...

Thanks for quick response,

Here is the message given by the site :

Office Genuine Advantage

Problem: No Office products eligible for validation were found on this computer. This may be due to one of the following:

• The version of Office installed on this computer is earlier than Office XP or later than Office 2007, and is therefore not eligible for validation.
    • There are currently no Office applications installed on this computer.
    • The version of Office you are using is hosted on another computer or a terminal server. Read more about this in the FAQ.

Solution: Purchase genuine Microsoft Office with a new computer, or from a retailer or software reseller near you. Learn more about how you can buy Microsoft Office.

Im thinking the third point applys to me, since it must detect there is 2 installation using the same key. Since i installed on portable first, that made it the "Licensed Device" and microsoft only allow installation on 1 "Licensed Device". Im guessing it does detect that the second installation on my Desktop, is not a Portable, and makes my key not genuine, even on my Portable since i get the same message from the site trying to validate installation. All that cause i installed in the wrong order... my bad, i should have read more before installing. At first i just scrolled fast the agrement i saw installation allowed on a portable. I came very, very nervous after, when i copied it on a word document to read more about it, and discovered there was 3 differents agrements, depending on the key type, and that only the FPP one allowed installation on a portable. But finaly both my keys are FPP, so im fine. Still i have to change the "Lisenced Decive" to my desktop, i dont wanna have problems using my programs after 30 days or something.

No - it's the first one that applies if you have Office 2010 installed.
    Office 2010 is supposed to be self-validating and does NOT use the old Office validation system.
    BOTH installs are properly licensed, so unless you actually get complaints from within Office, then don't worry about it.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by RiverHunter Tuesday, December 14, 2010 12:47 AM
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 12:28 AM

All replies

• "RiverHunter" wrote in message news:f658397e-2461-43e2-a80c-5da89f97c3c6...

Hello,

I think I make a big mistake, and installed my new Office and Access 2010, on my portable first. My installations on both my Desktop and Portable are saying “Product Activated”, but both are failing the “Validate Office” test on the Genuine Microsoft Software site. I would like to change that and put my Desktop as the “licensed Device”  I fear I won’t be able to do that before 90 days.. “19. REASSIGN TO ANOTHER DEVICE. You may reassign the license to a different device any number of times, but not more than one time every 90 days. If you reassign, that other device becomes the “licensed device.” If you retire the licensed device due to hardware failure, you may reassign the license sooner.”

Both of my licenses are FPP as Retail License Terms, so I should be in right to have them installed on Both my Desktop and Portable at the same time. “2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. : c. Portable Device. You may install another copy of the software on a portable device for use by the single primary user of the licensed device.”

So is there a way to fix my problem now, or I need to wait 90 days before I can reassign my license to my Desktop ?

There shouldn't be any problem with Office 2010 - the Validation site does not recognise Office 2010 (yet?) as a product that needs validation at all - O2k10 is supposed to be self-validating.
    What problems are you experiencing that make you think otherwise?

--

Monday, December 13, 2010 9:59 PM
  • Thanks for quick response,

Office Genuine Advantage

Problem: No Office products eligible for validation were found on this computer. This may be due to one of the following:

• The version of Office installed on this computer is earlier than Office XP or later than Office 2007, and is therefore not eligible for validation.
    • The version of Office you are using is hosted on another computer or a terminal server. Read more about this in the FAQ.

Solution: Purchase genuine Microsoft Office with a new computer, or from a retailer or software reseller near you. Learn more about how you can buy Microsoft Office.

Im thinking the third point applys to me, since it must detect there is 2 installation using the same key. Since i installed on portable first, that made it the "Licensed Device" and microsoft only allow installation on 1 "Licensed Device". Im guessing it does detect that the second installation on my Desktop, is not a Portable, and makes my key not genuine, even on my Portable since i get the same message from the site trying to validate installation. All that cause i installed in the wrong order... my bad, i should have read more before installing. At first i just scrolled fast the agrement i saw installation allowed on a portable. I came very, very nervous after, when i copied it on a word document to read more about it, and discovered there was 3 differents agrements, depending on the key type, and that only the FPP one allowed installation on a portable. But finaly both my keys are FPP, so im fine. Still i have to change the "Lisenced Decive" to my desktop, i dont wanna have problems using my programs after 30 days or something.

Monday, December 13, 2010 10:42 PM
  • "RiverHunter" wrote in message news:cc3305c9-99a4-4e16-81a9-1a17db7af7e2...

Thanks for quick response,

Office Genuine Advantage

No - it's the first one that applies if you have Office 2010 installed.
    Office 2010 is supposed to be self-validating and does NOT use the old Office validation system.
    BOTH installs are properly licensed, so unless you actually get complaints from within Office, then don't worry about it.

--

• Marked as answer by RiverHunter Tuesday, December 14, 2010 12:47 AM
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 12:28 AM
  • Oh im really happy to ear that, thanks alot.
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 12:47 AM