Which version should i go with enterprise or Standard RRS feed

• Question

• Hello basic question: Which version should i go with OCS R2 Enterprise or Standard Edition

I have 2 geographically dispersed locations connected via site to site tunnels
    Site 1: 7 users (ocs will be installed immediately)
    Site 2: 10 users (ocs will be installed at a later date)

I have tested our needs with OCS R1 and used standard edition but all of the users were located on the same box. In our production environment that won't be the case we will start off with all users in site 1 and then when servers have been deployed in site 2 migrate users to that site. We will need all roles installed for both locations Voice video im conferencing yada yada yada. The only thing we don't need is web communicator.

Also is there a deployment guide for R2 like there was for R1 can't seem to find it.

Thanks
    Jay
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 3:45 PM

All replies

• For deployments that small you should use a stand-alone Standard Edition front-end server for each physical location.  Enterprise Edition deployments are typically better suited for large deployments requiring load balancing and redundancy.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 6:49 PM
  • thats what i thought but i won't have a director in place so how do the external clients know how to get to the correct server using auto connect.

Also is there documentation out there that can tell me how to setup edge and internal standard server?
    Jay
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 7:27 PM
  • If you want multiple pools for the same SIP domain but don't want to use a director than you'll need to use a combination of Automatic and Manual configuration for the different groups.  Regardless of wheter you use Standard or Enterprise Edition only a single SRV record can be used, so a Director would be the only means up supporting multiple pools.

As far as documentation, have tyou started with the official docs?

Front-End: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd425100(office.13).aspx
    Edge: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd441282(office.13).aspx
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 7:46 PM