none
VS studio created CMakeBuilds directory off of home directory

Question

• Two of my colleagues were using VS and had gotten a virus warning from Symantec Endpoint Protection stating that C:\Users\user-name\CMakeBuilds\71d822ce-036f-403c-b90c-727f525ae1b8\x86-Debug\CMakeFiles\3.8.0-MSVC_2\CompilerIdC\CMakeCCompilerId.exe was at risk of having the Heur.AdvML.B virus.

This is very concerning.  Is this a virus, or is VS doing something that it really shouldn't, like writing to the home directory without the users explicit say so?

I don't mind someone marking a post as "Proposed as answer", but DO NOT mark it as "Answered". If I am the OP, I will decide if a post actually answers my post or not. Thank you.

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 4:12 PM

All replies

• It is not a virus but writing this stuff into %USERPROFILE% is annoying.

This could probably be under the solution dir/.vs - but the point of CMake support is that there is no solution. /*pun intended*/

Maybe Marian L. can explain this better...

-- pa

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 7:46 PM
  • Ok, so what is it for?  I had told my colleagues to just erase the directory and the problem didn't show up again.  The directory never reappeared either. What is this all about?  What is the purpose of creating a folder full of files that are never used except for scaring the crap out of us and dumping useless garbage onto our HDs?

I don't mind someone marking a post as "Proposed as answer", but DO NOT mark it as "Answered". If I am the OP, I will decide if a post actually answers my post or not. Thank you.

Friday, May 4, 2018 7:08 PM
  • If the CMake add-on is not used, its data probably can be deleted. Like with so many other applications and services.

-- pa

Saturday, May 5, 2018 10:33 PM
  • But why would it make it if it's not using it in the first place?  Being proactive for a situation that is never going to happen anyway?  Ridiculous!

• Edited by A D R I A N Wednesday, May 9, 2018 12:58 PM
    Tuesday, May 8, 2018 3:22 PM
  • I'm seeing this as well
    Wednesday, September 5, 2018 6:27 PM