Computers started auto resuming from hibernation after OneCare was installed RRS feed

• Question

• I'm struggling to understand how OneCare can be causing this, however, right now, it seems to be a prime suspect.

Soon after installing OneCare on two separate computers, I noticed that they both were waking up in the middle of the night after having been hibernated earlier in the day.  I'm pretty sure that I have disabled all hardware devices from being able to trigger the resume.  The system log shows that OneCare is updating AntiVirus and AntiSpyware signatures very soon after the system resumes.  One system is configured to hibernate after 30 minutes of inactivity, but 4 hours later, it is still running the next morning.  I thought it may be a person starting the system, but one night I was sitting next to one when it spontaneously resumed.  Any ideas?

Chuck Hartman

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 9:40 PM

Answers

• Steve,

It looks like the culprit is Windows Home Server beta.  I installed the WHS client on the same system soon after OneCare.  It seems that the WHS client is waking up the system in order to try to perform a daily backup as the OneCare backup has been turned off.  Thanks for your help.

Chuck

Saturday, March 1, 2008 5:25 PM

All replies

• Although I don't think this will wake up the PC, what time is the daily virus and spyware scan set to run? Did that correspond with the wakeup?

I have a laptop running Vista that won't go back to sleep after it wakes up to perform a scheduled task (not OneCare), but both machines that I put to sleep don't wake up without a task calling them awake.

After the PC wakes up, it will certainly check for updates, but that would not be the reason for it waking up.

-steve

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 1:34 AM
    • There is only one Scheduled Task listed in the Control Panel (AppleSoftwareUpdate which is set to run weekly on Saturdays at 8:05 a.m. 
    • The OneCare Tuneup is set to run every 4 weeks on Wednesday at 11:00 a.m.  (next scheduled is tomorrow)
    • The OneCare Virus and Spyware scan is scheduled not scheduled Daily,  but for Monday at 5:00 a.m.

The system log shows OneCare updated Virus and Spyware signatures at 1:39 a.m. Today (Tuesday).  There is nothing in the system log showing what caused the wakeup.  This is Windows XP.  Where should I be looking for other things that could cause the system to wakeup from hibernation?

Chuck

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 1:59 AM
  • Well, the cause of a PC waking up can be as simple as Wake On LAN being enabled for the network adapter, and this is the most typical reason. USB devices can cause this, particularly wireless mice and keyboards. OneCare doesn't wake the PC for anything, in my experience.

-steve

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 4:38 PM
  • Wake on Lan was the first thing that I checked and I have confirmed that it is disabled on both systems.  Tonight, I'll try disconnecting the LAN cable to see if that changes anything.

One of the systems has only one USB device attached, which is a printer that is always powered off. The other system has no USB devices attached.

I have had wakeup issues in the past with one of my laptops.  With the laptop, there was an entry in the system log at the time of the wakeup. In the case of the two deskside systems mentioned above, there are no system log entries around the time of the wakeup.  The first system log entry after the time frame of the hibernate is for a OneCare event.  I'm still stumped and will welcome ideas to zero in on the problem. Thanks.

Chuck

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 7:05 PM
  • I'll be interested in hearing what you find when you pull the network cable before hibernating. As I noted, the reason you see the update entry in the Event Logs is that OneCare sees the active network connection, notes that it's been while since it last checked for updates and talked to the server, so it goes for the connection to check and send its heartbeat.

-steve

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 7:27 PM
  • Well, the computer resumed even when the network cable had been pulled prior to hibernating.  I have one more thing that I want to try, but I'll be out of town all next week, so I'll post my findings when I return.  Thanks.

Chuck

Saturday, February 16, 2008 5:36 PM
  • I'll look forward to an update after you return.

-steve

Sunday, February 17, 2008 9:14 PM
  • Steve,

It looks like the culprit is Windows Home Server beta.  I installed the WHS client on the same system soon after OneCare.  It seems that the WHS client is waking up the system in order to try to perform a daily backup as the OneCare backup has been turned off.  Thanks for your help.

Chuck

Saturday, March 1, 2008 5:25 PM
  • I purchase a new HP  along with Microsoft One Care, it has Windows Vista.  It took me a couple weeks before I got the chance to install OneCare.  As soon as I did so, my computer would not stay asleep, and that was all that I changed.  When I put it to sleep, it will wake up merely 5 mins later and never fall asleep on its own.

What is the Windows Home Server and how do I keep it from causing this problem??  Although I think it is OneCare because nothing changed except that.

Thanks,

Zach571
    Saturday, March 1, 2008 6:10 PM
  •  Zach571 wrote:
    I purchase a new HP  along with Microsoft One Care, it has Windows Vista.  It took me a couple weeks before I got the chance to install OneCare.  As soon as I did so, my computer would not stay asleep, and that was all that I changed.  When I put it to sleep, it will wake up merely 5 mins later and never fall asleep on its own.

What is the Windows Home Server and how do I keep it from causing this problem??  Although I think it is OneCare because nothing changed except that.

Thanks,

Zach571

OneCare doesn't wake up a computer and if you don't have a Windows Home Server, http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/default.mspx, I suspect that it is caused by a device on your computer, perhaps the network adapter. It can also be your power settings or a screen saver. I would recommend contacting HP support.

-steve

Saturday, March 8, 2008 2:41 AM