How to Map Drive on a client RRS feed

• Question

• Basically, I want to be able to see the drives on the WHS on one of the client computers. How do I do that.

thanks

Friday, April 13, 2007 1:22 AM

Answers

• To map shares to a drive letter on a client, do one of the following:

a) In my computer, select TOOLS, MAP NETWORK DRIVE. Then select the letter you want to assign from the drop-down list, then click BROWSE. This opens a network navigator and you can select your server and the share you want. Finally, before clicking OK select the "connect at login" box to make the drive come back next session.

b) Open a command prompt or run line and enter this command: NET USE <drive letter> \\<server name>\<share name>, where <drive letter> is the drive you want to map to, <server name> is the name of your WHS server and <share name> is the share you want to map to. You can add /PERSISTENT:YES to the end to make the share come back when you restart or log back on.

Friday, April 13, 2007 1:57 AM
  •  Rasino wrote:

Basically, I want to be able to see the drives on the WHS on one of the client computers. How do I do that.

thanks

There is a "Shared Folders on Server" icon on the desktop of your computer that you can use for accessing the content stored on your home server .  You don't really need to map a drive.  And if you delete this shortcut off of your Desktop - it is also available as an option on the Windows Home Server tray icon.

Friday, April 13, 2007 11:58 PM

All replies

• To map shares to a drive letter on a client, do one of the following:

a) In my computer, select TOOLS, MAP NETWORK DRIVE. Then select the letter you want to assign from the drop-down list, then click BROWSE. This opens a network navigator and you can select your server and the share you want. Finally, before clicking OK select the "connect at login" box to make the drive come back next session.

b) Open a command prompt or run line and enter this command: NET USE <drive letter> \\<server name>\<share name>, where <drive letter> is the drive you want to map to, <server name> is the name of your WHS server and <share name> is the share you want to map to. You can add /PERSISTENT:YES to the end to make the share come back when you restart or log back on.

Friday, April 13, 2007 1:57 AM
  •  

thank you. the first park worked like charm.

but i am still struggling with the command line

will let you know.

thanks

Friday, April 13, 2007 2:30 AM
  •  Rasino wrote:

Basically, I want to be able to see the drives on the WHS on one of the client computers. How do I do that.

thanks

There is a "Shared Folders on Server" icon on the desktop of your computer that you can use for accessing the content stored on your home server .  You don't really need to map a drive.  And if you delete this shortcut off of your Desktop - it is also available as an option on the Windows Home Server tray icon.

Friday, April 13, 2007 11:58 PM
  •  T. Headrick wrote:
     Rasino wrote:

thanks

I'm currently interested in purchasing a WHS and want to know if shares are open to all local computers or can they be limited to selected user / users?
    Sunday, August 19, 2007 12:23 AM
  • They are controlled by username and password (similar to a domain).  You can give each user 3 possible permissions on each share: no access, read-only access, or read-write access.

Sunday, August 19, 2007 12:52 AM
  • There are also "public" folders which can be accessed from any of the workstations on the network.

Sunday, August 19, 2007 10:43 AM
  • Can the shares be in my /user/harry.walker share?  If so, I cannot see them.  I have added myself in the SHARE/PERMISSIONS tab will full control.  Is there something missing?

Sunday, November 11, 2007 2:22 AM
  • It sounds as if you have not installed the connector software on the client computers, if that's not the case tell us.

Sunday, November 11, 2007 5:45 AM

• No, I have done this "by the book".  This morning, I checked the system and "viola", all the folders I created were there and were accessible.  Why, I don’t know.

There seems to be a pronounced lag in the creation of the folders to being able to see or map them.

I have mapped them as "drives" on my clients.  Everything, so far, appears to be acting like my old Windows 2000 Server.  I was rather hoping for setting up individual, logical drives.  Is this the new standard for Windows servers; or, is this a "dumb-down" version for us home users?  There seems to be Windows 2003 "add-ons" that are not accessible or are not unusable.  I would like to have support again for UNIX/Linux printing on this server.  Is this possible?  If this is the wrong forum or section, my apologies.  I just tend to put questions out while I am thinking about them.

Thank you for the help.  -Harry-

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 6:00 PM