My Shares Show Empty via Remote Access RRS feed

• Question

• I had to restore a recent Complete Backup Image due to a drive failing, and as I expected everything appeared to work fine when I rebooted to the new drive. However, what I didn't expect is to find that all of my shares show empty (none of the Folders and none of the data) when I login via the internet. When I log into the server I can see all the folders, data etc. where it is supposed to be, and shared like it should be...what gives. Additionally, when I login to the server I cannot get to the Admin Console as I get an error that says the Backup Service is Not Running. If I go into services and try to manually start the service then I get a message that tells me the Service Started and Then Stopped.... Any inputs will be very much welcome. Thanks

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 2:16 PM

All replies

• Can you please explain exactly what you mean by "complete backup image"? Windows Home Server doesn't support the use of imaging tools to back up the system or other drives; the only available backup is the built-in tool that backs your shares up. Using imaging tools can "disconnect" the tombstones stored in D:\Shares\etc. and D:\Folders\etc. from the actual files, which are stored in other locations on your server.

If you restored an image taken using e.g. Acronis or even NTBackup, this is probably why you're not seeing your files. Unfortunately, the best option (and the only supported one) for recovering is a server reinstallation/server recovery. I would recommend you remove all partitions on the system drive before you start, to simulate the disk failure you experienced previously. Read this FAQ, which goes through the process (albeit somewhat sketchily), and don't proceed if you aren't offered server reinstallation or recovery (depending on the age of your installation media), because a new installation will wipe all of your disks. If you have an OEM server, go through the manufacturer's server recovery procedure, making sure you don't choose factory reset.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 4:00 PM
  • Wonderful! So you're telling me that if I were to use Ghost (I did) or some other Disk Cloning application to replace a failing disk then WHS will somehow dump these Tombstones? You've got to be kidding me! I have used Ghost, and Snapshot to restore full Multiple TB size Server 2003 Images on Full-on Poweredge Servers with absolutely No Hoops to Jump Through, and No Loss Of Data/Links. Please help me understand because I am having a difficult time believing that Microsoft would do something so Incredibly Stupid! I guess I must not be understanding you correctly.
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 5:01 PM
  • Hi,
    disk imaging has never been a supported method of Home Server backup, and I don't know any imaging tool that lists WHS as supported system. Instead you can backup the shares with the integrated backup tool to backup your server, and the backup database with WHS BDBB Add In.

If you did not backup the disk ID so that Windows Home Server sees the same disk, a restored disk will no longer work properly. I don't know, if you can change anything in the registry of WHS to integrate the new disk somehow.

The way to recover your data is described in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 7:58 PM
  • No, you understand more or less correctly. Windows Home Server isn't designed for the IT pro, it's designed for someone who doesn't have any interest in being an IT pro, and it's designed not to be managed from the server desktop.

Rather than proceeding to Olaf's data recovery suggestion, I would try for a server recovery first, as I suggested above. Wipe the system disk first; this will simulate a disk failure and replacement. And read the FAQ I linked before you start; it will tell you what you need to know to avoid unnecessary loss of data from your shares. Read this FAQ too; it details the data risks in a single drive failure scenario so you'll understand what you could lose.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 10:32 PM
  • Well, thanks for info. Since I'm in for a lot of work (time) ahead of me, do you have any experience/suggestions as I would like to convert this physical server to a virtual machine to run inside either of my Physical Server 2003 w/Virtual Server 2005 R2 or hopefully Server 2008 R2 running inside the Hypervisor? I'm trying to consolidate my equipment at home and really plan to just run everything Virtual for various reasons. If I'm not too far of track with my understanding of what I'm going to need to do to repair this installation, then I don't really see anything that would prevent me from doing as I plan...except for the typical Micro$oft roadblocks, sorry for the sarcasm but I'm a little irritated with them right now. Seriously, any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thank You.
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 6:15 PM
  • If you're going to convert to a virtual server, just recover data per Olaf's suggestion.

Thursday, May 27, 2010 6:45 PM