none
Feature request: additional time information RRS feed

• General discussion

• Many of the forum pages contain time-based information, sometimes as an absolute date-time, and sometimes as a relative time (e.g '38 minutes ago').  This request is mainly concerned with the latter.

The relative time information is useful at the time the page is generated, but as there isn't a 'current time' posted on the page (and IE page properties only supplies a date, not a time), it's not possible to tell when the post was actually made without refreshing the page.

Would it be possible to display the time of page generation on the forums pages please?

Also, it would be helpful to know the time zone associated with the absolute times; assuming that all the 'absolute' times on a page belong to the same time zone, it would be sufficient to include the offset from UTC in the page generation time.

Thanks for your attention.

Answering policy: see profile.
    Friday, February 4, 2011 5:15 PM

All replies

• Hi

Thank you for your post! The time displayed in minutes, hours or day when the thread is updated at that time and it is universal for all time zone.

So it will shows the time when it is updated according(like 38 minutes ago or 5 hours ago or Friday, February 04, 2011 5:15 PM) to the time zone you are in. So if any thread is not updated then the time of initial post is displayed.

Shrikant Maske, Tier 2 Application Support, Server and Tools Online Operations Team
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 12:54 PM
  • Hi Shrikant,

Thanks for responding, but I'm not sure you have fully grasped the point of my feature request.

I understand that all the times are re-calculated when the page is refreshed, but my point is that as it currently works, you are obliged to request a page refresh to be sure of the time a relative time represents.

Also, date representations such as 'Friday, February 04, 2011 5:15 PM' can be correct only in one specific time-zone.  Since it does not contain any indication of the time-zone, it is not possible to determine how it relates to my local time zone.

My local time zone does not appear to be a configurable part of my forums Settings or Profile, so I am unsure how the server is determining the time zone I am in. 

If it is relying on geo-location of my IP for this purpose, that would be assuming that the request IP accurately reflects my actual location, which may be incorrect in the case where I am behind some kind of proxy. 

All of these concerns could be easily addressed by displaying the time of page generation on the page together with the time-zone on which all 'absolute' times in the page are based.

Answering policy: see profile.
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 2:45 PM