Need help restoring music files RRS feed

• Question

• My hard drive failed and thankfully I had a current OneCare backup on an external hard drive. I've successfully restored my backup to my new hard drive. However, when I open iTunes, my thousands of songs don't appear (even though I know OneCare put them on the new hard disk somewhere). What do I need to do to get iTunes to recognize my huge investment in music? Please help!

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
    Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 6:48 PM

Answers

• Hello, ReneeT.
    If OneCare restored the files to the drive, they will either be in the same location that they were before or they will have been placed in a newly created \Restore folder off the root of the C:\ drive.

OneCare should only put the files in an alternate location if you set the new PC up with a different User name and the path to the old file location doesn't work. However, that would also have affected other files and folders if you used a different Windows login User name.

I am not an iTunes user, so I can't tell you how to reconnect the files to iTunes, but I suspect that your iTunes Library needs to be rebuilt with the songs that were restored to the drive.
    I imagine that OneCare support has specific experience with this problem, so if you need help, you should feel free to contact them.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

In the meantime, someone may pop in here to provide instructions, too.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 7:24 PM