WHS 2011 Vail Back up 2 Hard Drives RRS feed

• Question

• I have two 1 TB BU drives connected to my WHS 2011 RC machine.  The two drives are set up as "Back Up" drives yet the server only backs up to the first one in the drive listing.  Is there a way to set up round robin BU to back up to one drive on the 1st daily BU and to the 2nd drive during the second BU? 

As it is now, the one drive has 300 GB of Back Up info on it and the second drive has zero.

Paul
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 1:13 PM

All replies

• I think I can say there are no instructions for doing what you want.

Yes, it would be a good thing, but I don't think it will happen unless a 3rd party builds the add-in to do it.

Nancy Ward
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 3:55 PM
  • WHS is expecting you to rotate the disks (server backup won't span disks).  If you remove the currently used disk it should backup to the second disk.  The documentation is currently rather vague but you can get the flavor of it at http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/windowshomeserver2011/develop-backup-plan-2.aspx.  See the section labled "How should I label backups?"

Only a small and very limited portion of the Windows 2008 R2 Backup capabilities built into WHS 2011 are exposed in the Dashboard.  Hopefully 3rd-party add-ins will be developed that more fully leverage the server backup capabilities once WHS 2011 is released.  You can check out some of the capabilities at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd979562%28v=WS.10%29.aspx

-Wellread01

Sunday, March 20, 2011 7:44 PM
  • Thanks for the great replies.  Does seem odd that the WHS Vail build team are expecting a WHS User to be swapping BU drives in and out on a headless machine that was intended in a a "set it and forget" sort of mindset.

I like Vail for the most part, after you get over the loss of DE, but this is just another blunder. 

For the record, I use two deives for back up, one was a typical USB add on drive the other was an ioSafedrive that is fire/water hardened and not something you'll be taking off site for sure.

Paul
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 8:22 PM
  • Paul,

The backup wizard built in the WHS dashboard is not very flexible and is not convenient for someone who  wants to keep multiple duplicate backup sets attached to the WHS full time.   I think it is really designed for one scenario:  Setting up one backup profile for <<2TB of data to a <=2TB BU drive, and rotating multiple backup sets (BU drives) that are based on that single backup profile. 

If you want a different backup plan, you have to use a command line (the wbadmin command) & scheduled tasks.

-Wellread01

Sunday, March 20, 2011 9:27 PM
  • Paul,

The backup wizard built in the WHS dashboard is not very flexible and is not convenient for someone who  wants to keep multiple duplicate backup sets attached to the WHS full time.  

It seem that business class backup requires that you interface with your server on a regular basis, either to rotate drives/disks/tapes, or to remove disk/tape/drive for offsite storage.

The question for us WHS users is how has business dealt with the limitations imposed by Server Backup the underlying engine in WHS 2011

Monday, March 21, 2011 1:00 AM
  • I "fiddled" with the underlying Backup in Win 2008 and while it again will see both backup drives it will only perform a BU to the first listed drive.  Seems likes MS should be able to provide some logic to BU to alternating drives or even to both if thats what the user desires.  You can never have enough backups right?

Paul
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 12:31 PM
  • I "fiddled" with the underlying Backup in Win 2008 and while it again will see both backup drives it will only perform a BU to the first listed drive.  Seems likes MS should be able to provide some logic to BU to alternating drives or even to both if thats what the user desires.  You can never have enough backups right?

Paul

The server backup control (wbadmin.msc) acts on the same bakup profile as the Dashboard Wizard.  The wbadmin scheduled task created/modified through either either route can be viewed in Task Scheduler->Task Scheduler Library->Microsoft->Windows->Backup.  I believe the -templateid: argument is available only through wbadmin.msc.

You can make completely independent backup jobs using wbadmin.exe on a command line in your own scheduled tasks. The basic sysntax is

wbadmin start backup -backupTarget:something -include:something

where
    -backupTarget: is your Backup location
    -include: specifies the stuff you want to backup

There are additional switches for things such as backing up the system state

You can get full details fro the wbadmin command at:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754015%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

-Wellread01

Thursday, March 24, 2011 4:31 PM
  • You can never have enough backups right?

Paul

Lots of overlapping backup sets incurs backup set management overhead costs and duplicate hardware costs.  Also, attached duplicate or overlapping backups usually can't protect against theft, large power surges, fire or flood that can take out all drives at one location.  I realize in your case one drive is fire resistant.  For most people I think the cost effective scenarios are:

1. To duplicate file duplication functionality of WHS1 use one 2TB Backup Target for 1.3TB of data to be backed up (following Microsoft guidlines)

2. To protect some particularly valuable data such as personal photos or financial data use 2 backup targets and rotate to an off site location on some schedule, perhaps every 6 months (or 2 weeks).  Whatever is appropriate.

The backup wizard allows users to accomplish both or either task for one set of data of less <2TB (1.3TB if you follow Microsoft guidlines).  If you have more data to backup, or want to implement other scenarios you have to use the wbadmin command line & optionally scheduled tasks.

-WellRead01

Thursday, March 24, 2011 6:36 PM