Setting automatic incremental backup? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I was on a job today helping a client with some computer issues. One of the issues he was having was that his OneCare was not backing up to his external hard drive (80gig) anymore. I did some snooping around the OneCare program, its settings and also onto the backup drive and seen that over the course of the last year OneCare has backed up files to the hard drive until it reached capacity.

He said his OneCare is configured with the defaults and I noticed that there is an incremental backup option which I assume the OneCare is not using but instead doing a full backup every time it runs. It is set to run automatically every week during the tuneup. I found where I could initiate a manual incremental backup but could not find a way to tell the automatic backup that he has setup to do incremental's.

I think this is the right path I should be on but I am new to OneCare and not too sure yet if anyone has some information or experience with the problem above I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, Jeremy

Thursday, December 25, 2008 4:22 AM

Answers

• Hello Jeremy, after the initial backup the One Care default action is to perform only incremental backups. It is quite possible that if there was a large amount of data to back up originally a years worth of incremental backups certainly could fill an 80gb drive. I would recommend formatting the external drive, then perform a new full backup.
    Jim
    Thursday, December 25, 2008 4:35 PM