Unable to install Server RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded ManagementReporter4Gp.zip. However I am getting an error message during installation. The error relates to where the installater cannot "validate" the windows users. The error message appears right after  user specify a windows user name for Adminsitrator role. When I click next I get the following error message

The error message: Management Reporter Setup ended prematurely.

And here is part of the the log file. (It appears that it is not able to validate the windows user. I have verified that this user exists. I even tried providing the Windows Administrator userid)  It is stand alone windows 2003 standard server setup as a WorkGroup.

***************here is part of the log**************************** Action 15:38:48: AdminUserDialog. Dialog created Action 15:38:57: ValidateWindowsUser. Action start 15:38:57: ValidateWindowsUser. MSI (c) (EC!6C) [15:38:58:531]: Product: Microsoft Dynamics ERP Management Reporter Server -- ValidateWindowsUser threw an exception: System.ArgumentException: The supplied context type does not match the server contacted. The server type is ApplicationDirectory. at System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.PrincipalContext.DoServerVerifyAndPropRetrieval() at System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.PrincipalContext..ctor(ContextType contextType, String name, String container, ContextOptions options, String userName, String password) at System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.PrincipalContext..ctor(ContextType contextType, String name) at Microsoft.Dynamics.Performance.Install.CA.WindowsUserActions.ValidateWindowsUser(Session session) Action ended 15:38:58: ValidateWindowsUser. Return value 3. DEBUG: Error 2896: Executing action ValidateWindowsUser failed. The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2896. The arguments are: ValidateWindowsUser, , Action ended 15:38:58: WelcomeEulaDialog. Return value 3. Action 15:38:58: FatalErrorDialog. Action start 15:38:58: FatalErrorDialog

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 11:07 PM

All replies

• Management Reporter requires a Domain.
    Rob Iversen MSX Group www.msxgroup.com rob.iversen@msxgroup.com
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 11:14 PM
  • Thanks

Is there any workaround if I need to install this on my laptop, one has XP and the other of course is 2003 server as workgroup.

DOes this mean it will not install on XP either?

Thanks

nfp
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 11:27 PM
  • You could use XP as the server if you wanted, as long as that XP machine was joined to a Domain.  Unfortunately there is no workaround directly on your machines, but you could create a VPC image with W2k3 or some other server and install and configure AD/DNS.

It's not easy but it is possible.  If you need help we offer all kinds of services and training around FRx, Forecaster, Management Reporter, PerformancePoint Server and other products.  Email me at Rob.Iversen@MSXGroup.com and visit our website http://MSXGroup.com for more information.

Thanks

Rob Iversen MSX Group www.msxgroup.com rob.iversen@msxgroup.com
    • Proposed as answer by nfpacct Thursday, June 17, 2010 2:27 AM
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 2:00 AM
  • Hello,

Rob is correct that Management Reporter requires a domain. Is this for a live customer environment or just for testing purposes? We have this listed as an enhancement, and you can vote it up here:

https://connect.microsoft.com/dynamicssuggestions/feedback/details/565517/install-mr-without-being-on-domain

You would not be able to install the server components at all as we require Server 2003+ for Server Components and the install will not continue.

Thanks

Thursday, June 17, 2010 10:48 PM