Upgraded From Trial Version To Licensed Copy, Remote Access Setup Says Domain Name In Use RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I just upgraded to a licensed copy of Windows Home Server from a free trial. My live ID and password is unchanged however remote setup will not accept my original home server domain name (myname.homeserver.com). It prompts "the name is in use". How can I use my domain name from the trial version again?

Saturday, May 2, 2009 1:55 PM

All replies

• Hi, I just upgraded to a licensed copy of Windows Home Server from a free trial. My live ID and password is unchanged however remote setup will not accept my original home server domain name (myname.homeserver.com). It prompts "the name is in use". How can I use my domain name from the trial version again?

Have you installed any add-ins/apps on your server?

When you enter your Live ID username and password, it should show you the domain name you had previously set up and allow you to select it.  If it's not doing that, you might want to try filing a bug report on Connect (or you could try a Server Reinstallation).
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 7:47 PM

Have you installed any add-ins/apps on your server?

When you enter your Live ID username and password, it should show you the domain name you had previously set up and allow you to select it.  If it's not doing that, you might want to try filing a bug report on Connect (or you could try a Server Reinstallation).

Thank you for the reply. I was expecting it to come up as well when I entered the live ID. I had not installed any plug-in’s on either the trial or licensed copies. I'll file the report and let's see what happens. Just for now I entered a new domain name and so far it's working fine. It's a shame to loose the domain because it was my name.

Sunday, May 3, 2009 12:39 PM
  • Thank you for the reply. I was expecting it to come up as well when I entered the live ID. I had not installed any plug-in’s on either the trial or licensed copies. I'll file the report and let's see what happens. Just for now I entered a new domain name and so far it's working fine. It's a shame to loose the domain because it was my name.

One other thought:  Since you successfully created a new one, you might try going back through the RA setup again and see if you can now re-claim your original one.
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 5:01 PM
  • Do you have more than one Live ID? If yes, try the others. Would not be the first time, that a person assumed, that he used the Live ID X but instead used a different one.
    4 month can be a long time to keep such stuff memorized.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 5:07 PM