Unable to ping home server RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently installed the Home Server Eval and am unable to install the connector.  I can see the server in the WORKGROUP and I can get the initial page that displays with <server>:55000. 

nslookup seems to go to my DSL modem when I ping the server.  The DSL modem is 192.168.1.1.  I have the server IP address reserved in the Linksys Router.

When I ping the server name it seems to know the IP address.

What should I try next?
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 6:04 PM

Answers

• Can you please run ipconfig /all on the workstation with the issue, and on a workstation that's working correctly, and post the clearly labeled results here?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 3:01 PM

All replies

• More Info ...

I can run the installer my going to the server via the WORKGROUP, but when the install gets to the point where it needs to Discover the Home Server it fails.  I'm sure this is related to my inablity to ping the server. 

The server can access the internet to get updates just fine ....

I have a ...

Linksys WRT150N Router connected to a DSL Modem for Internet Access.
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 6:32 PM
  • More ...

When I ping or use nslookup it appears to go to my DSL Modem to resolve things as it comes back with the address of the Modem 192.168.1.1. 

This makes sense as the DNS address is the DSL Modem ...

The error is "Can't find server for server 192.168.1.1:Timed Out"

My DSL modem knows nothing about my home server as far as I know.  The only device that knows about it is the Linksys router ... Hmmm?

I have updated the firmware on the Linksys Router ... still nothing.

I have manually add the port forwarding entries in the Router.

I have Reserved the IP address of the server so the Router will not assign a new IP addr

My Network Status shows good(Green)

Tuesday, May 5, 2009 7:54 PM
  • More ...

Basically I can't ping anything beyond myself.  All the other PCs with the same software don't have this problem.

I have tried another Network card ...

... tried starting in Safe Mode with just networking  ... still won't ping

What tool or anything could help solve this issue?

Please don't suggest that I reinstall ... I don't do that!!!

Friday, May 8, 2009 3:38 AM
  • I have some questions:
    If you login to the desktop and try to ping the server, does this work?
    Please post the output of
    ipconfig /all
    on both the server and a client.
    In the manual reservation you made, is there eventually a typo (in IP address, subnet mask, gateway, DNS server entries)?

Is the server connected to the same switch as the other PCs?
    Since you talk one time about a router, another time about a modem, could it be, that the server is not in the same subnet as the clients?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, May 8, 2009 8:45 AM
  • All PCs(XP w/Windows Live Firewalls) on network have no issues.  Just this one box

I don't login to the desktop ... all my XP boxes just go right in ... no password

The server and the desktops all use DHCP.  At one time I manually setup the server, but determined that was not my problem.

All boxes on same Router/Network/Subnet

I believe there is some setting in the registry, the BIOS or the TCP/IP stack as I have tried everything ...  The fact that I am still unable to ping the gateway or anything else booting in Safe Mode with just Networking eliminates most of the software that might be causing the issue.

I'm going to boot up with Knoppix and see what happens.

Maybe reset the TCP/IP protocol
    Friday, May 8, 2009 3:48 PM
  • Did you try to swap the cable and the port to which the server is connected against one, which is definitively proved as functioning?
    Safe mode with networking will not work always, if the network drivers rely on stuff which cannot be loaded in safe mode.
    Do you have any antimalware application installed on the server or touched the WHS specific settings of the Windows firewall?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, May 8, 2009 9:25 PM
  • I plugged a laptop into the cable that would normally connect to this flaky PC and had no problems with the laptop. 

I have also booted Linux from a CD distro on this box and was able to ping with no problem.  That would tell be the hardware and wiring is probably good.

A minute ago I ran  ...  "netsh int ip reset"  to reset TCP/IP registry entries.  It may do more than that, but that's all I saw in the log.

I don't think I have any anti-malware installed at this time, but I have in the past.  Maybe a good registry repair tool might help?  I'm very leary of 
    the registry repair tools as the last time I ran one it made quite a mess of my system.  That time I did have to reinstall the system.

I wonder If a repair install would be helpful. 
    Friday, May 8, 2009 10:40 PM
  • Can you please run ipconfig /all on the workstation with the issue, and on a workstation that's working correctly, and post the clearly labeled results here?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 3:01 PM